No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

4,500 weapons destroyed in controlled demolition

bythomwestcott
March 13, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
4,500 weapons destroyed in controlled demolition

The weapons destroyed had been collected over the last year (Photo: Handicap International)

The explosive remnants of war destroyed . . .[restrict]had been collected over the last year (Photo: Handicap International)

Tripoli, 12 March 2013:

Weapons and explosive remnants of war collected by clearance agencies over the last year have been destroyed in a controlled demolition outside Sirte by NGO Handicap International.

“It’s satisfying that such a large volume has been destroyed,” said Handicap International’s Technical Advisor Brendan Ramshaw, who prepared the demolition. “Those items no longer pose a threat to the people of Sirte – grenades, projectiles and rockets were reduced to dust,” he added.

The items destroyed included over 500 mortars, some containing the highly-flammable noxious compound White Phosphorus, 60 grad rockets, 140 war heads and 330 rocket propelled grenades.

After the thirty-five day Battle of Sirte in 2011, the city was littered with weapons deployed by both sides of the conflict. These left homes, farm land, schools and beaches contaminated and the local population at risk of injury or death from the deadly remnants.

RELATED POSTS

National Development Agency signs two strategic agreements with UAE’s Global Builders for Sirte projects

Egyptian dredger arrives in Sirte – starts dredging work in various marine projects

Collaboration between Handicap International’s community liaison teams and Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD) teams has enabled prompt responses when weapons are found.

“When reported, we’ll visit immediately and more often than not the item can be taken away there and then,” said Ramshaw. “If it’s in a volatile state and too dangerous to move we’ll blow it up on the spot.

“It’s rewarding to see people so relieved when the threat is removed from their land,”  Ramshaw added.

Clearance teams from Handicap International, the Danish De-mining Group, the Mine Advisory Group, the Swiss Foundation for Mine Action and the International Committee of the Red Cross all helped collect the weapons which were destroyed.

Handicap International has been building the capacity of the national EOD sector in Libya through training and transfer of technical skills. Locally-recruited and trained Risk Education and EOD teams established in Sirte and Misrata have now been working for a year.

The NGO estimates that some 94,000 at-risk people have benefitted from its Risk Education projects. These are particularly aimed at children and young people, whose curiosity makes them vulnerable to the consequences of finding and playing with unexploded ordnance.

Handicap International, through funding from the Dutch and German governments, has so far removed over 45,000 items of unexploded and abandoned ordnance from 39,000 square metres of land across central Libya. In November last year, it destroyed 5,500 explosive items in Mistrata. [/restrict]

Tags: Handicap InternationalLibyaSirteweapons

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Egyptian Christian's family assured about Tripoli jail death: Egyptian ambassador

Libya boosts Wintershall to record levels

Libya boosts Wintershall to record levels

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.