No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Prison guard “smuggled” phone to Senussi

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2013
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Prison guard “smuggled” phone to Senussi

Abdullah Senussi still seeks trial in the Hague

By Ashraf Wahab.

Senussi made mobile call from prison

Tripoli, 22 February 2013:

A guard at the Tripoli prison where Abdullah Senussi is being held has been arrested and . . .[restrict]charged with smuggling  in a mobile phone for Qaddafi’s former intelligence chief to use.

A government source said the guard, known only as “R.A” had taken the phone to Senussi in his cell at Hadba Al-Khadra prison, so that he could make calls. The chain of events leading to the discovery of this arrangement is unclear. However one call that the prisoner placed was reportedly traced to  a house in Tripoli. A raid on the property led to the arrest of  a woman, referred to by the source as “J.T”, a former member of Qaddafi’s female body guards, who were  known as “The Revolutionary Nuns”. A second unidentified person was also detained.

Security personnel reportedly found personal weapons, Thuraya satellite phones and an internet receiver at the house. The Ministry of the Interior could not be contacted today for further details.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Senussi is facing charges for crimes against humanity. He is currently the subject of a tussle between the International Criminal Court, which wants him extradited to stand trial in the Hague and the Libyan authorities, who wish to try him here. He was arrested last year in Mauretania for travelling on false documents and extradited to Libya in September.

Unood Senussi, one of the prisoner’s daughters, is facing trial for having entered Libya on a forged passport. She was  arrested on 6 October in a city centre hotel, just a few hours after she had arrived at Tripoli Airport, travelling from Algeria via an unspecified other country. The 18-year old was said to have been found in possession of a “large amount” of US currency. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredguard arrestedLibyaphoneprisonSenussi

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Mounting traffic chaos on Egyptian border

Mounting traffic chaos on Egyptian border

Belhaj denies reports he was refused entry to Algeria

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.