No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Greater clarity emerges on local council election moratorium as Tripoli Local Council vows to press on as planned

byGeorge Grant
November 21, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Greater clarity emerges on local council election moratorium as Tripoli Local Council vows to press on as planned

A woman casts her vote in the Benghazi Local Council elections on 19 May. Existing councils will not be affected. (Photo: George Grant)

By Umar Khan.

A woman casts her vote in the Benghazi Local Council elections on 19 May. Existing councils will not be affected. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 20 November:

Greater clarity has emerged with regards to a . . .[restrict]proposal by the National Congress to halt all local council elections in Libya.

Considerable confusion has surrounded the decision, which Congressmen said was made several weeks ago but never announced. On Sunday, Congressmen also told the Libya Herald that local council elections were to be halted until after the ratification of the permanent constitution.

It now transpires, however, that the elections will only be halted until the implementation of the Local Administration law, first passed by the National Transitional Council on 26 July, but then put on hold by the NTC and the government at the start of August.

RELATED POSTS

UNSMIL congratulates citizens of 26 municipalities for successful conduct of local elections – calls for holding of suspended elections

Aldabaiba opens First Phase of Tripoli’s Third Ring Road

According to Congressman Mohammed Toumi, who is also spokesman for the National Front party previously led by Mohamed Magarief, Congress is still finalising the exact details of the election ban.

“It is clear that the current local councils are temporary ones. We have a local administration law, and it should implemented and everything done in a systematic way. We are still finalising the details but it will make more sense to elect local councils that are based on the law prepared by the ministry and are the same throughout the country.”

Under this provision, the Tripoli Local Council elections, which are scheduled for 23 December, would be affected, although the council’s electoral committee insists that the elections will take place as planned.

The council has said, however, that the lack of clarity from the Congress over the implementation of local administration law and the elections of the local councils is not only confusing the people but is also costing effort and money.

Sources inside the Ministry of Local Governance have said that they have been asked to speed up the procedures to start the implementation of the law. “We are told to get the things in order so that we can start as soon as the final decision is made by the National Congress”, said one official. “It should not take more than four months to reach the elections based on the local administration law provided the work is not stopped.”

However, the deputy head of the electoral committee for Tripoli local council elections, Umran Marini, says the people want elections no matter what. “We are working to hold elections on 23 December. We did hear rumours about the cancellation of the local elections but we cannot stop until we see the GNC decision ourselves. On Monday we invited the candidates and different civil society organisations for a meeting and they all agreed to have the elections on time.”

Umran says there were three reasons that prompted the five weeks delay in the local council elections, “firstly the material for the elections will arrive on 25 November, it is being arranged with support from the European Union. Secondly we had monetary restrictions as we only received 0.8 million dinars since we started working whereas we wanted a budget of 7 million. Thirdly, we wanted to give more time to the candidates to connect with the people and explain their programme.”

After the reports about a possible ban on the upcoming Tripoli local council elections, candidates are also confused and blaming the current council for the delay.

Khalid Aubashi, standing from the downtown told the Libya Herald that he suspects hidden hand in all this. “They are delaying the elections for the third time now and I’m sure there is a hidden hand behind this that doesn’t want to see the country move forward.” [/restrict]

Tags: congressfeaturedLibyaLocal ElectionsTripoli

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Libyans supporting Palestine as GNC prepares humanitarian delegation to Gaza

It’s all about transformation and stability: the Libya Summit kicks off on a high note

It’s all about transformation and stability: the Libya Summit kicks off on a high note

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.