No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

The US consulate attack: the facts, the questions

byMichel Cousins
October 7, 2012
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A

By Chris Stephen.

Significant questions remained unanswered about the fatal attack on the US consulate in Benghazi on 11 September.

Benghazi, 7 October:

Last week under a bright blue sky, half a dozen land cruisers escorted by a police . . .[restrict]motorcade arrived outside the gates of the abandoned US consulate in Benghazi.

FBI agents spilled out and three snipers took up positions on the roof of the burned-out villa. More than one Benghazi resident wondered where all that security had been when it was needed.

US Congress will on Wednesday question the chief of security for the consulate on why, given a string of previous attacks on diplomatic targets in Benghazi, security had not been tightened to resist the assault that killed ambassador Chris Stevens and three of his officials.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

The build up

Attacks on foreign missions burst into life in Benghazi in April when a bomb was thrown at a UN convoy.  In May, a rocket hit the office of the International Committee of the Red Cross and on 6 June a bomb exploded outside the US consulate.

Then on 11 June, a rocket struck a vehicle in the convoy of Britain’s Libya ambassador, Sir Dominic Asquith, wounding two security officers, outside the UK consulate.

The UK closed its consulate soon afterwards.  On 18 June, gunmen stormed the Tunisian consulate and burned the flag in protest against an art exhibition that had opened in Tunis. In August, the ICRC announced that, after five attacks on its offices in Libya, it was closing bureaus in Benghazi and Misrata.

Throughout the same period Benghazi also saw 14 assassinations of former Qaddafi-era officials.

Security

US embassies around the world are a by-word for security and most are veritable fortresses. Not so the Benghazi consulate.

It consists of a collection of buildings sitting amid bean fields surrounded by a wall in Fuwaihat, a southern suburb of flat farmland dotted with compounds of the wealthy.

The front wall has barbed wire above it, but the back wall has none and is low enough to clamber over with ease. By contrast, the abandoned UK consulate, visible half a mile away across the fields, has 15 foot walls, a watchtower and blast walls made of sandbags stacked in steel cages.

The villa at the centre of the complex has steel doors, grates over all but one of the windows – the one leading to the Safe Room – and two sandbagged emplacements outside. Inside a steel door protects a Safe Room – actually a group of rooms, in which Stevens died of smoke inhalation.

But the Safe Room had a fatal flaw. Such places are intended not to stop an attack but delay it long enough for a relief force to materialise.

There is no central control over Benghazi security, which is shared with haphazard coordination among police, military police, army, various militias and the Supreme Security Council (SSC), the national gendarmerie.

Fawzi Younis Qaddafi, no relation to the former dictator, is commander of the Benghazi SSC, and said he was not told that the ambassador was at the residence beforehand or when a frightened diplomat called to say it was under attack.

The attack

Witnesses agree that the attack on the compound began shortly after 21:30 on 11 September.

Attackers massed at the twin front gates, along a narrow unmade road, and by the twin rear gates, which leads onto the main highway.  There were many spectators, as the rear gates are across the street from the fashionable Venezia restaurant.  If there was a protest, as Washington at first claimed, then it was by the attackers themselves.

Grenades were thrown over the front wall. Shortly afterwards, an unarmed Libyan consulate guard opened one of the back gates. The group of eight to twelve gunmen standing there shouted at him to get back inside. Shortly afterwards they opened fire at the gate, which has 22 bullet holes. Another five bullet holes show fire being returned from inside.

Seven or eight Americans in the compound bundled themselves into an armoured jeep which drove out, sustaining fire, and made it to the annex, an accommodation compound a mile away by road. Left behind in the villa was ambassador Stevens who had locked himself in the Safe Room.

The biggest mystery for anyone touring the compound is the absence of battle damage. The buildings are charred, along with three embassy pickup trucks, from arson, but there are few bullet strikes. If the attackers entered before the staff had fled, it seems there was no exchange of fire.

A rocket propelled grenade was fired at the double doors of the villa, missing and striking the lintel above. Apparently the shock was enough to force open the doors. But it is unclear if an attempt was made to break into the Safe Room, or if the attackers even knew it was there.

Younis Qaddaffi said his units turned up at the villa but insists he was not told that the ambassador was missing. By then large crowds of the curious had turned up and he decided to leave the scene.

It was those crowds that found Ambassador Stevens, either dead or dying from smoke inhalation, shortly after midnight. Benghazi Medical Centre records him arriving, dead, by private car along with an injured guard around 01:00.

By this time a team of eight U.S. officials, some armed, had been despatched by helicopter from Tripoli. They arrived at 01:30. and went to the annex building.

Then, sometime in the early hours, mortar rounds slammed into the roof of the annex, killing two former navy Seals, Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty.

According to the two landlords, the annex was not, as some reports claim, a Safe House, being neither secure nor secret. It was where most of Benghazi’s US diplomats lived.

Also killed that night from smoke inhalation was Sean Smith, a foreign service information officer, though again the circumstances of his death have yet to be fully explained.

[/restrict]

Tags: featured

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Juma El-Gamaty kidnapped and threatened by Qaaqaa brigade

Egypt evacuates citizens from Bani Walid

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.