No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hundreds gather at Congress in support of Bani Walid

byGeorge Grant
October 7, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Hundreds gather at Congress in support of Bani Walid

Protesters demanding an end to the siege of Bani Walid claimed that it was Misrata, and not the government or themselves, which was responsible for the present crisis. (Photo: George Grant)

By George Grant.

Protesters demanding an end to the siege of Bani Walid claimed that it was Misrata, and not the government or themselves, which was responsible for the present crisis. (Photo: George Grant)

Tripoli, 7 October:

At least 300 demonstrators gathered outside the National Congress today calling on the government to raise the . . .[restrict]siege on the former Qaddafi stronghold of Bani Walid.

The protest came at a moment of acute political as well as military crisis in Libya, with Congress members debating whether to dismiss Prime Minister-elect Mustafa Abushagur at the same moment as protesters gathered at its gates.

Chants of “we won’t give up on Bani Walid” could be heard as demonstrators clapped, waved independence flags and held placards with slogans such as ‘no, no siege’, and ‘Bani Walid calls for a free world’.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

The town is presently surrounded by thousands of soldiers from brigades across Libya, with an attack possible in the next few days.

Protesters complained that the town was being strangled of food, fuel and medical supplies as the result of a blockade orchestrated not by the government but by Misrata.

“We are not against the government or the 17 February Revolution”, said Bashir Suleiman, an engineer originally from Bani Walid but now living in Tripoli. “The problem is with Misrata. They are the ones doing the bombing, not the government. Misratans think they are the police of Libya”.

Suleiman, along with several other demonstrators, alleged that Misratan forces had launched airstrikes on the south side of the town this morning, injuring three women and an elderly man.

However, the Libya Herald has been informed that whilst government jets had conducted sorties over Bani Walid this morning there had been no airstrikes and no casualties.

Asked why they would not hand over those suspected of involvement in the torture and death of Omran Shaban, protesters said they did not believe they would be afforded a fair trial.

“Hand them over to who?” asked one. “A gang – to be put in a heater or hanged from a tree? We will hand over our people once the government establishes a proper court.”

Others complained that whilst Bani Walid was being threatened with invasion for not surrendering Shaban’s killers, several hundred prisoners from Bani Walid were still being held in Misrata without trial.

“This is about more than just three or four men who have been kidnapped in Bani Walid”, said Sahed Mohammed, a civil engineer. “We have as many as 500 people in Misrata and nobody is talking about that. We need a solution on both sides”.

Tensions between the two towns, which fought on opposite sides of the revolution, have been stretched to breaking point in the wake of Shaban’s death in a French hospital on 25 September. He was captured there with a colleague in July and held for two months before his release on 13 September following mediation efforts led by National Congress President Mohamed Magarief.

One group of protesters could be overheard chanting “the valley of the 50 tribes will destroy Misrata in one night”.

Negotiations between representatives from Bani Walid and the authorities in Tripoli are ongoing ahead of an extended deadline of 10 October, imposed by Congress, for the town to hand over Shaban’s killers or face the threat of force.

The initial deadline had been 5 October, but was extended after Magarief submitted a request to Congress to push the date back.

Today, Magarief held a closed-doors meeting in Congress with Bani Walid representatives led by Salem Al-Ahmar Ali, who until recently was one of the town’s two representatives in Congress. He was suspended following an investigation by the Integrity Commission on 2 October.

Several delegations have been dispatched to Bani Walid in recent days, with members variously including Magarief, other selected members of Congress, military staff, and respected elders.

To date, these efforts have failed to resolve the crisis and the military remains stationed at four camps on the roads out of Bani Walid.

Should an attack be ordered on the town, there are fears of large-scale civilian casualties and the possibility of retaliatory strikes elsewhere in Libya. In spite of this, however, many both inside Congress and on the street believe that Bani Walid cannot be allowed to continue its defiance of the new government and must be brought into line, even if that means using force to do so. [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Iran thanks Libya on Red Crescent workers' freedom

Al Rashad Libya bought by Dubai's Arqaam Capital

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.