No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Reports that Libya will pay Lebanon $1bn to drop Sadr case untrue says Abushagur

byMichel Cousins
September 29, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Michel Cousins.

Tripoli, 28 September:

The Libyan government has categorically denied reports that it has offered Lebanon $1 billion to drop the . . .[restrict]case of the Lebanese imam Musa Sadr who disappeared with two colleagues while on a visit to Libya in 1978.

Prime Minister-elect and current deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur told the Libya Herald that there was no truth whatsoever to the report.  “First, Libyans have not committed a crime against Lebanon and the Libyan government will not pay anything to anyone because we didn’t commit the crime. This crime was committed by Qaddafi who is dead and buried now and his followers are receiving prosecution”, he said.

The report first surfaced last week in the Lebanese newspaper Addiyar but was then reproduced by the media in Iran as well as some papers in Libya.  It was claimed that members of the Lebanese government had met with an unnamed Arab delegation which had been authorised by Libya to pay the $1 billion. The money was to be wired to the Lebanese government’s account if it agreed to discontinue its investigations into the Imam’s disappearance.  The funds were, supposedly, not to go to Imam’s heirs but to be spent in south Lebanon, home to a large number of Shiites.

RELATED POSTS

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

The Addiyar report said, however, that Lebanon had rejected the offer, demanding instead that Libya confess to the murder of Sadr and his two colleagues, Sheikh Mohammad Yacoub and journalist Abbas Badreddine, and return their bodies.

It is unclear how the story first developed.  Addiyar has a reputation of being pro-Syrian regime.  There are suspicions that this latest twist in the Sadr saga is intended to embarrass Libya which has strongly supported the uprising against the Assad regime.

However, the question of what happened to Sadr remains a sensitive issue in Lebanon that politicians there cannot ignore. Iranian-born Sadr, who had been invited to Tripoli by Muammar Qaddafi to join in his 1 September celebrations to mark the anniversary of his 1969 coup, founded Lebanon’s powerful Shiite party Amal and was also a spiritual leader of the country’s now dominant Shiite community.

Although it is firmly believed that he and his two companions were murdered on Qaddafi’s personal orders after a row between him and the imam, a significant number of Lebanese Shiites cling to the belief that Sadr is still alive and held in a Libyan jail.

Since the Libyan revolution, the Lebanese government has been pressing the Libyan authorities over what happened to him.  In April, Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour, who personally believes Sadr is still alive in Libya, was in Tripoli as part of the official Lebanese investigation into the Imam’s disappearance.  Reports in Beirut say he will be back in Libya in a few days’ time to continue the investigations. It also emerged earlier this month that before Abdullah Senussi was extradited to Libya from Mauretania, Mansour questioned him in jail there about the case.

Last week, Lebanese Prime Minister Najib Miqati met with General National Congress President Mohamed Magarief on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly meeting in New York and told him of the importance for Lebanon of achieving closure on the Sadr case. [/restrict]

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Libya averages twice world sugar intake

Libya averages twice world sugar intake

Two beaten and arrested by SSC at anti-militia rally in Tripoli

Two beaten and arrested by SSC at anti-militia rally in Tripoli

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.