No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Congress threatens to sack Abushagur if no government formed by 7 October

byGeorge Grant
September 26, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Congress threatens to sack Abushagur if no government formed by 7 October

The prime minister-elect is believed to be struggling to reach agreement with the numerous political factions vying for influence in any new government.

The prime minister-elect is believed to . . .[restrict]be struggling to reach agreement with the numerous political factions vying for influence in any new government.

Tripoli, 26 September:

The National Congress has threatened to dismiss Mustafa Abushagur as prime minister-elect if he fails to submit his proposed government by 7 October.

The ultimatum follows a request by Abushagur to extend the period in which he can form a government by ten days.

The prime minister-elect had previously announced his intention to submit his choices to Congress on 30 September, although it was subsequently agreed that this deadline would be brought forward by three days.

Congress spokesman Omar Hmaidan said today that the requested extension was still under review, but insisted that 7 October represented an absolute deadline.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba proposes new Road Map for holding elections, loans and land for youth and money for healthcare for war wounded

Cooperation agreements reached between Libyan and the Greek pharmaceutical and medical companies: Tripoli Chamber of Commerce

“[Prime Minister-elect] Abushagur must put forward his proposal by 7 October”, Hmaidan said.

“If he fails to submit his proposed cabinet by 7 October, we would consider his position to be resigned”.

Having outlined his commitment to form a government of national unity, Abushagur is rumoured to be under considerable strain to reach agreement with the numerous different factions and competing interests seeking to maximise their influence during this next phase of the country’s political transition.

His situation has potentially been made more difficult by as-yet unconfirmed reports that Mahmoud Jibril’s National Forces Alliance has backed out of joining any new government.

Last week, the NFA chief hinted at his unhappiness with negotiations when he said that his alliance would have no part in any government “if [it] is only needed to make up numbers, or to show off”.

Being part of any government that did not seek to implement the pledges made by the NFA to the Libyan people would, Jibril said, “be a waste of time”.

A failure to involve the NFA in any cabinet would represent a major blow to Abushagur’s aspirations to create a government of national unity, given that it is the largest single bloc in the Congress, holding 39 of the 80 seats reserved for political parties.

Abushagur narrowly beat Jibril for the prime ministership in an election on 12 September, receiving 96 votes from Congress members to the NFA leader’s 94.

Jibril had led the race comfortably after the first round of voting, but was squeezed out in the second and final round when Islamists in the Congress, who had previously backed Electricity Minister Awad Barasi, transferred their votes en masse to Abushagur.

  [/restrict]

Tags: Abushagurfeatured

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Congress considering State of Emergency law for Libya

Libya Herald continues to grow in popularity: 27 million hits in 31 weeks

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.