No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

New allegations surface of US torture of Libyans and collaboration with Qaddafi regime

byGeorge Grant
September 6, 2012
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Al Russell and George Grant.

The report uncovers new allegations of collaboration between the Qaddafi regime and Western governments. (Photo: Human Rights Watch)

Tripoli, 6 September:

New allegations of torture and illegal rendition have been levelled at the United States . . .[restrict]and other countries by Libyans detained in the aftermath of the 11 September 2001 terrorist attacks.

The allegations are contained within a new report by Human Rights Watch, the New York-based NGO, and are based on interviews with 14 former detainees together with the so-called ‘Tripoli Documents’, files found in government buildings in the capital after the fall of the Qaddafi regime last year.

The report, ‘Delivered Into Enemy Hands: US-Led Abuse and Rendition of Opponents to Qaddafi’s Libya’, claims that 15 Libyans were subjected to extensive torture in US-run secret prisons, which allegedly included beatings, sexual humiliation, sleep-depravation and starvation.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Following their interrogations, all of the men were transferred back to Libya to face the prospect of imprisonment and – in many cases – further torture at the hands of the Qaddafi regime.

All of the 14 men interviewed were transferred back to Libya within 24 months of Qaddafi’s rapprochement with the West in 2004, symbolised by the famous ‘Deal in the Desert’, when British Prime Minister Tony Blair was greeted by Qaddafi in a Bedouin tent.

The report also alleges extensive collusion by the British intelligence services in both the rendition and interrogation of several of the detainees. One of those rendered back to Libya recounted how Qaddafi’s former spy chief Musa Kusa said to him: “Before 9/11, you went to countries where we couldn’t reach you. But now, after 9/11, I can just pick up the phone and call MI6 or the CIA”.

Three of the dissidents returned to Libya say they were subsequently interrogated by American, British, French and Italian intelligence officers in Qaddafi’s jails.

Most of those interviewed belonged to the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, an anti-Qaddafi militant organisation established in the 1980s. Many had travelled to Afghanistan prior to the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001, and some had come into contact with Al-Qaeda. However, the detainees denied being allied with Al-Qaeda against the West, insisting that they had fled to Afghanistan to avoid persecution at the hands of the Qaddafi regime.

In December 2004, however, nine months after the West brought Qaddafi in from the cold, the US State Department listed the LIFG as a terrorist organisation.

The report also documents how two of the detainees were subjected to waterboarding by the United States, the controversial interrogation-technique whereby water is poured over a person’s face to simulate drowning.

One of the two reportedly provided a credible account of waterboarding, whilst the second described a comparable account of water abuse.

The claim contradicts repeated assertions by the US authorities that only three detainees were ever subjected to waterboarding, none of them Libyans.

Asked about the new allegations of waterboarding, CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood said, “The agency has been on the record that there are three substantiated cases in which detainees were subjected to the waterboarding technique under the program.”

She said she could not comment on the “specific allegations” in the Human Rights Watch report but noted that the Justice Department had reviewed the treatment of more than 100 detainees held by the agency and “declined prosecution in every case.”

Other forms of prisoner-abuse detailed in the report include: “being chained to walls naked—sometimes while diapered—in pitch dark, windowless cells, for weeks or months at a time; being restrained in painful stress positions for long periods of time, being forced into cramped spaces; being beaten and slammed into walls; being kept inside for nearly five months without the ability to bathe; being denied food and being denied sleep by continuous, deafeningly loud Western music.”

The allegations contained within the report have once again called into question the decision of the United States and other Western governments to compromise on their commitment to human rights in the so-called ‘War on Terror’, including through enhanced security cooperation with the Qaddafi regime. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Two more Qaddafi figures set to go on trial on 10 September

Power restored to Tripoli airport

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Medsky Airways adds a second Airbus 320 to its fleet

    Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.