No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Defiant Sanalla refuses to handover NOC chairmanship

bySami Zaptia
July 14, 2022
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
Sanalla hits back at Oil Minister Aoun – Aldabaiba to decide their fate in Sunday meeting

Sacked NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla has defiantly refused to give up his post. He launched a long tirade against Aldabaiba, Aoun, Bengdara and the UAE (Photo: NOC).

In a scathing, meandering videoed speech lasting about an hour last night, the recently replaced National Oil Corporation (NOC) chairman, Mustafa Sanalla defiantly refused to give up his post.

The sacking
Sanalla had been sacked by the incumbent caretaker Tripoli-based Libyan prime minister Abd Alhamid Aldabaiba through decree (642/2022).

The leaked decision was dated 7 July but was only published officially yesterday by the Libyan Ministry of Oil and Gas.

The decision appoints former Central Bank of Libya Governor Farhat Bengdara as the new NOC chairman. The other four of the five-member board are the incumbent Deputy Oil Minister, as well as Hussein Safar, Masoud Musa and Ahmed Abdalla.

Aldabaiba’s Oil Minister, Mohamed Aoun, welcomed the decision he has been long and openly lobbying for.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba broadly welcomes Tetteh’s new political Roadmap

PM Aldabaiba and Governor Issa discuss priority economic and financial issues

Sanalla resumes work from NOC Tripoli HQ
Sanalla had just returned from performing the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca. He returned to his NOC headquarters and launched an often personal videoed tirade against Aldabaiba, his government, oil minister Aoun, his replacement Bengdara and the UAE.

The NOC is 16 years older than the UAE!
Aldabaiba’s attempted sacking of Sanalla and his board of directors was a deal with the UAE, Sanalla explained. He said it was a shame that Aldabaiba was selling out on the NOC and Libya to a nation that was 16 years younger in existence than the NOC.

Aldabaiba and his caretaker government are illegitimate
Sanalla attacked Aldabaiba and his government which he said was illegitimate. It was a caretaker government that did not have the right or authority to change the NOC board. The Aldabaiba government’s mandate had expired, and the Libyan parliament had withdrawn confidence from it. The decision to change the NOC board is therefore null and void.

The NOC is protected by international law and agreements
Sanalla repeated his oft quoted mantra that the NOC is an independent technical entity that should not be privy to Libya’s every day political tug-of-war. He insisted the NOC has been time and time again protected by UN resolutions, international political agreements, and statements. He said Aldabaiba must respect the NOC.

Aldabaiba a traitor – appeasing the UAE
Sanalla said the NOC was not a pawn for the Aldabaiba family. He accused Aldabaiba of using the NOC as a bargaining chip in his dealings with others, including the UAE, in order to remain in office. He said Aldabaiba was not trustworthy and ‘‘not a man’’ and could not sack him face to face. He was furious that the sacking happened while he was in Mecca.

He said Aldabaiba was trying to appease the UAE and compensate them for their loss of the (LERCO) oil refinery case. Sanalla said the NOC will not be sold cheaply to the UAE so that Aldabaiba can remain in power.

UAE behind Libya’s oil closures
Sanalla accused the UAE of being behind Libya’s oil closures. He said Aldabaiba had tried to get an US$ 300 million overpriced deal with the UAE through, which Sanalla had stopped. Sanalla asked: are you upset with me for that reason? He then vowed to give the deal to Egypt’s Petrojet instead. He said Aldabaiba was selling the NOC and Libya for personal and political gains.

Bengdara a pawn of the UAE
Sanalla also accused his replacement, Farhat Bengdara, of being a UAE pawn. He said Bengdara wants to sell the NOC and Libya to the UAE – for personal gain.

Aldabaiba’s government  received most money with nothing to show
Sanalla said Aldabaiba’s government had received LD 165 billion while in office – the most of any post 2011 administration – but had nothing to show for it except a ‘‘roundabout’’. It had squandered the Libyan people’s money

Aoun is incompetent and has a pending case with the Attorney General
Sanalla said Aldabaiba’s oil minister, Mohamed Aoun, was incompetent. He said he knew nothing about the oil sector when he was running an NOC subsidiary and knows nothing now. He does nothing and he failed to oppose the oil blockade. He said Aoun has a pending case with the Attorney General.

Threatened to reveal more
Sanalla warned Aldabaiba to keep his hands off the NOC and warned that he has more information, including recordings, to reveal about him.

He vowed that he and his board will continue their work from the NOC Tripoli headquarters.

 

NOC wins arbitration case against Emirati LERCO (libyaherald.com)

NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla and board of directors sacked by Aldabaiba – Bengdara appointed (libyaherald.com)

NOC lifts force majeure at Brega and Zueitina oil ports (libyaherald.com)

Aldabaiba agrees to replace Sanalla as head of NOC: News and analysis (libyaherald.com)

NOC chairman Sanalla suspended from his post and referred for investigation by Oil Minister – his replacement declines the temporary post (libyaherald.com)

Sanalla hits back at Oil Minister Aoun – Aldabaiba to decide their fate in Sunday meeting (libyaherald.com)

Aldabaiba’s Aoun-Sanalla crisis summit: Kiss and make up or slap on the wrist? (libyaherald.com)

Oil Minister Aoun suspends NOC Chairman Sanalla from his post and refers him for investigation for a second time (libyaherald.com)

Ministry of Oil says NOC board will be reformed and Sanalla still suspended – will Sanalla survive Aldabaiba’s planned reshuffle? (libyaherald.com)

NOC welcomes Aldabaiba’s reversal of Oil Minister’s decision to suspend chairman Sanalla (libyaherald.com)

 

 

Tags: Abd Alhamid aldabaiba pm GNU Government of National UnityFarhat Bengdara NOC chairman July 2022NOC chairman Mustafa SanallaUAE United Arab Emirates

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

As Sanalla refuses to give up his post: NOC Tripoli headquarters surrounded by pro Aldabaiba forces

Bengdara installed into NOC Tripoli headquarters as new chairman

Bengdara installed into NOC Tripoli headquarters as new chairman

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.