No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

National Congress summons PM, Defence Minister and Interior Minister for questioning over shrine desecrations

byGeorge Grant
August 29, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By George Grant.

The demolition of the Al-Sha’ab shrine. There have been suggestions that the attacks may have been authorised by someone inside the government.

Tripoli, 25 August:

The Prime Minister, the Minister of Defence and the Interior Minister are to be questioned by the . . .[restrict]National Congress tomorrow morning over their handling of the recent desecration of shrines by suspected Salafist extremists. The army Chief of Staff and several other officials have also been called.

In a public address this evening, Saturday, National Congress Speaker Mohammed Magarief described the desecration of Sufi shrines in Tripoli and Zliten over the past 48 hours as “disgraceful acts” and those involved as “criminals” who would be pursued.

The apparent failure of the ministries of defence and interior to prevent the destruction of the holy sites has drawn widespread condemnation across Libya.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

“The destruction of shrines and mosques is a crime. Those who commit these crimes will be held responsible”, Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abushagur said today. “I asked the Ministry of the Interior and the Ministry of Defence to intervene yesterday but they did not do their duty to protect these sites.”

This morning, the Al-Sha’ab Sufi shrine opposite the Radisson Blu hotel in Tripoli was attacked by suspected Salafists, little more than a day after one of Libya’s most important Sufi shrines, that of the Sidi Abdul-Salam Al-Asmar Al-Fituri in Zliten, was badly damaged following clashes that left at least three people dead.

Following the attack on the Tripoli shrine, heavy machinery moved in to complete the demolition, reportedly to excavate the tombs inside. The Interior Ministry allegedly authorised the move following “evidence of black magic” at the site. Worshippers were said to have previously prayed at the tombs.

The SSC sought to shut off the site throughout the process, and at least three journalists were called in for interrogation by the committee following their coverage of the destruction.

Sufi shrines are a not infrequent target of Salafists across the Islamic world, who believe that such veneration of human beings and physical objects constitutes idolatry.

In his address this evening, Magarief also suggested that there may have been official collusion in the attacks, saying that those responsible “are unfortunately aligned with some in the Supreme Security Committee and some ex-revolutionaries”.

Earlier today it was suggested that both the Interior Minister and the Minister of Defence had been fired over their handling of the attacks, although their summons before the Congress tomorrow appears to confirm that this is not the case. [/restrict]

Tags: featuredLibyaShrines

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Three journalists arrested by SSC over Tripoli shrine desecration coverage

Islamic banking workshop at Central Bank

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.