No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Red Crescent remain in the dark about Iranian hostages as Iran announce delegation to attempt release

byGeorge Grant
August 10, 2012
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Red Crescent remain in the dark about Iranian hostages as Iran announce delegation to attempt release

By Al Russell.

Tripoli, 10 August:

The Libyan Red . . .[restrict]Crescent has no idea if or when seven Iranian Iranian employees abducted in Benghazi ten days ago will be released, the organisation’s General Secretary, Abdulhamid Elmadani, has told the Libya Herald.

Meanwhile, the Iranian Foreign Ministry has announced that a delegation, including Hassan Qashqavi , the Deputy Foreign Minister for Consular Affairs, will travel to Libya imminently to look into the case.

RELATED POSTS

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

The seven were seized at around 1 a.m. on 31 July, while returning to the Tibesti hotel from the headquarters of the Libyan Red Crescent.

“The Iranians are still being detained and we are unable to predict when they will be released”, Elmadani said.

An official who has been in contact with the kidnappers confirmed that they were Islamic extremists, but declined to name the group responsible.

He said he had been told that the Iranians had been seized for interrogation, to ensure their visit was not an attempt to spread Shiite Islam.

“The ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) remains ready as a neutral organisation to help facilitate the release of the Red Crescent staff” Soaade Messoudi, Communication Coordinator for the ICRC, told the Libya Herald today.

“We have no further information concerning the staff… but remain very worried and concerned about their safety and have been in close contact with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies regarding their situation; we hope for a quick release.” Said Ms Messoudi.

The International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement is a non-political and non-religious humanitarian organisation, however this is not the first example of it being targeted in this country due to perceptions that it has religious purposes.

The ICRC suspended operations in Misrata and Benghazi last week due to continued attacks on its buildings. Ms Messoudi stated in an earlier interview with the Libya Herald that she believes it is a target due to misconceptions that it is a Christian organisation. [/restrict]

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Tebu leader comes under attack on visit to grandfather ahead of Eid

British security firm will wait for accreditation to resume operations in Libya

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.