No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

U.S. Guidry group to build billion-dollar Susah deep sea port

bySami Zaptia
August 16, 2018
Reading Time: 4 mins read
A A
U.S. Guidry group to build billion-dollar Susah deep sea port

(Photo: Guidry Group).

By Sami Zaptia.

(Photo: Guidry Group).
U.S. Guidry Group is to build a billion dollar deep-sea port near the eastern town of Susah (Photo: Guidry Group).

London, 16 August 2018

U.S. based company, the Guidry Group, is to build a billion-dollar-plus deep-sea port near the eastern Libyan town of Susah. The multi-purpose container port and logistics hub would be the largest deep-sea port in the region and is projected to handle 1 million TEU’s in phase one.

The company said that the goal of the port is to ‘‘stimulate business, help end terrorism, and reinforce elements of a successful country to assist in reviving war-torn Libya.’’ It added that the port project will ‘‘improve the human condition, breathe economic life into the region, and help position Libya as a major economic gateway for North Africa trade and commerce’’.

The Guidry Group was given permission by Libya’s Ministry of Transport to conduct a study of the port in Susah as far back as 2012. The study was conducted in 2013 and in 2015, the Guidry Group competed for the right to build the port with another 8 international companies – which it won.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

Tripoli PM Aldabaiba receives energy giant Chevron delegation – Chevron finds current Libyan operating conditions a significant opportunity

It completed its feasibility study of the project in 2017 and last month it publicized its general plans. In March this year the project was named among the Top 100 Critical Infrastructure Projects of the Year at the 11th Global Infrastructure Forum held in Montreal, Canada, and was a finalist for Project of the Year.

Speaking exclusively to Libya Herald by phone from the U.S. yesterday, Michael Guidry, founder and CEO of The Guidry Group, said ‘‘I fell in love with it’’ when asked why Libya?

‘‘Libya is ripe for business and investment right now. I do not want the Chinese or the Russians in Libya first!’’, he said mischievously. ‘’I want to get a foothold in there now’’ before it’s too late.

Asked why other companies, including those who had already worked there before, are still reluctant to invest in or return to Libya, Guidry said that it was probably because they had lost some money as a result of the 2011 revolution.

Guidry was confident that he would be able to attract enough investors to the project which he hoped would be mostly American capital – but welcomed European capital too. However, where other foreign investors, including the Europeans saw risk in Libya, Guidry saw business opportunity.

With regards to working in the east of Libya while the internationally recognized government was based in Tripoli, Guidry saw no problem. ‘‘The Libyan people have been very kind to me. I am hoping to get the east and west to agree that this is an infrastructure project serving the whole of Libya’’.

Guidry accepted that most potential investors are concerned about security and mitigating risk in Libya. This includes most other companies that have worked in Libya before. He puts their lower risk threshold down to their structure and maybe ownership.

‘‘We are going to create the security for the project. We have already had our engineers in Libya. The east right now seems to have relatively good security’’. Asked if he thought his company’s security blueprint can be replicated by other international companies for other projects in Libya, he replied emphatically, ‘‘I know so’’.

With regards to politics and security in Libya, Guidry was of the firm belief that getting business and the economy moving in the country would have a huge positive affect on the environment. ‘‘Big business can solve some of the problems. I would like to see Libyans working together’’, he explained.

Examining the rationale and business case for a brand-new port in Libya and another major port in the Mediterranean, Guidry was adamant that his project is justified and will be a major regional infrastructural success.

He believes demand is strong for highly efficient automated container-handling service in the region.  He also sees the Mediterranean as a crucial east-west and north-east container trade route. Mediterranean port growth is forecast to be between 4-5 percent per annum for the coming years.

Guidry explained that first, Susah has what is considered a deep-sea port. Secondly, it is closer to the main flow of Mediterranean shipping traffic. Thirdly, the port will be designed to have quicker turnaround because as he put it ‘‘ships that are in the port like planes at an airport are not earning money. We are building a port for the future – for super tankers and future tankers which will be piloted by satellites’’, he added.

And this is all possible, he explained, because unlike existing ports which will have to modify to future demand, Susah port is being built from scratch, which gives it another advantage on existing ports in Libya and in the Mediterranean. ‘‘We hope to compete with the big shipping and ports of the world’’, he added.

Libya has plans to expand many of its other existing ports as well as establishing new ones, including Tripoli, Khoms, Zliten, Misrata, Benghazi and Elmreisa Freeport. With regards to too many Libyan ports competing for the same shipping traffic into Libya, Guidry does not see it that way.

‘‘No. Susah will be a deep-sea port. The location has about 18 m depth by nature, which is a competitive advantage. The other ports don’t have the depth that Susah has. They will need to do a lot of dredging to reach the natural depths of Susah. Libya needs a deep-sea port. Susah has deep water, so unlike the competition, we don’t need to spend a lot of money on dredging – which is the most costly item usually in developing a port’’.

‘‘So, we are not competing directly for the same market. I am happy to cooperate. I think we can work together. I am happy to talk to all of them. We complement each other. Other ports, such as Elmreisa port, are transit ports. Susah will be an inter-modal port. We can help each other.’’, Guidry explained.

Guidry revealed that they hope to break ground in Q1 of 2018 and that phase one of the port will cost about US$ 200 million for three operating berths and one million TEU’s. Beyond that he hoped the project would attract further investors for the two other phases which would need a total investment of about US$ 1.4 bn.

Concluding the interview, Guidry said that he wanted to ‘‘help Libya. I do not care about politics and I need the Libyan people to help me make this project a success. This project is about business not politics. The easier it is for us to start the more attractive Libya will become for other businesses and investors. They are all waiting to see if our model can be replicated’’, he explained.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2015/05/07/new-port-planned-for-susa/

 

 

Tags: BusinessfeaturedGuidry GroupInvestmentMichael GuidryshippingSusah port

Related Posts

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments
Business

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

November 29, 2025
Ministry of Housing in discussions with Ernst & Young in London
Business

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

November 29, 2025
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Industry and Minerals Ministry signs MoU with Hungary’s Rotary International Co. for joint infrastructure investment projects

November 29, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

November 29, 2025
LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
Next Post
HoR signs agreement with Islamic Call Society to use its building as its new Benghazi HQ

HoR signs agreement with Islamic Call Society to use its building as its new Benghazi HQ

LNA kill 15 Derna-escaping ‘‘terrorists’’ on Ajdabiya-Tobruk desert road

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.