No Result
View All Result
Sunday, August 31, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Khalifa Haftar leaves for Rome visit

byMichel Cousins
September 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Vanessa Tomassini.

Hafter
Hafter with Italian interior minister Marco Minniti in Benghazi earlier this month (Photo: LNA media office)

Milan, 25 September 2017:

The head of the Libyan National Army (LNA) Khalifa Hafter is reported to have left Benghazi today for Rome where he is due to have talks tomorrow with Italian defence minister Roberta Pinotti. The discussions are expected to focus both on efforts to solve the Libyan crisis and the issue of migrants heading to Italy from Libya.

Italian media reports that Rome also wants Hafter and the LNA to provide protection for Eni’s Mellitah oil and gas plant, 100 kilometres west of Tripoli, are seen as improbable given that the LNA’s presence in the area is considered inadequate for the task.

Hafter has created something of a major polemic in Italy with strong views on either side about dealing with him. His visit, moreover, is reported to have provoked something of a diplomatic headache for the Italian government following its announcement.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts former head of the Libyan mission to Italy

UNSMIL expresses concern over mobilisation of forces by Hafter and anti-Hafter forces

Italy formally recognises the Presidency Council chaired by Faiez Serraj and its government of national accord but in efforts to find a peaceful solution to the Libyan crisis, the Italian government has said that it is “in dialogue with everyone”. That resulted in Italian interior minister Marco Minniti going to Benghazi for talks with Hafter earlier this month and inviting him to Rome – despite the fact that Italian prime minister Paolo Gentiloni told the UN General Assembly last week that there could be no military solution in Libya – a clear Italian shot across Hafter’s bows.

It is said in Rome that when Serraj heard about the Italian invitation, he immediately demanded an explanation from the Italian ambassador in Libya, Giuseppe Perrone. To mollify the PC, Rome then hastily organised an invitation to the new head of the PC’s chief of staff, Major-General Abdulrahman Al-Tawil. He arrived last Saturday.

Also, to avoid diplomatic feathers being ruffled in Tripoli, it is reported that Hafter will not meet prime minister Gentiloni or foreign minister Angelino Alfano.

Tags: featuredItalyKhalifa HafterLibya

Related Posts

Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Major effort by the Ministry of Economy to bring back Chinese companies
Libya

Libyans still need visas to travel to China

August 27, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi festival this week celebrates horses and horsemanship

Benghazi festival this week celebrates horses and horsemanship

Truckers protest at roadblock shakedowns

Truckers protest at roadblock shakedowns

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Planning launches Libya 2050 Vision

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.