No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

byMichel Cousins
April 20, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Misratan representatives visit Moscow; next stop Grozny

By Libya Herald reporters.

fla-1132x670
Russian deputy ambassador to the UN Vladimir Safronkov tells Security Council that Khalifa Hafter’s  LNA must be the nucleus of a new Libya  army (Photo: Social media)

Misrata/Tunis, 19 April 2017:

A mainly military Misratan delegation has been having talks in Moscow with top Russian defence and foreign ministry officials as well as members of the Russian parliament, the Duma, as the Kremlin continues its own efforts to broker peace in Libya.

Led by Abdulhamid Al-Dubaiba who has long had close links to the Russians, the delegation includes the city’s military council leader, Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, as well as the Bunyan Marsous-appointed Sirte military governor, Ahmed Abu Shahma, Tripoli defence ministry spokesman Mohamed Al-Ghasri plus Bunyan Marsous commander Mohamed Essa and Yousef Ben Yousef, the former head of Misrata local council.

It is as politically diverse a delegation as could be imagined. While Ben Rajeb is seen as an Islamist deeply opposed to the former regime and is currently trying to bring down Misrata’s democratically-elected municipal council, Dubaiba was closely involved with the Qaddafi regime, at on time running the Libyan Investment and Development Company. His cousin, Ali Dubaiba, was even closer to the regime, being a close confident of Qaddafi and head of ODAC (Organisation for Development of Administrative Centres). For his part, Ghasri is regarded as a supporter of the Presidency Council, which Ben Rajeb abhors.

RELATED POSTS

Tripoli based Libyan PM Aldabaiba takes part in Q&A as part of Tripoli Media Days – talks about Russia, corruption, El-Kaber, Bengdara and elections

Facilities Security Authority meets Russian and Italian ambassadors – discusses training and provision of security to returning companies

Although there has been no confirmation from either side, sources in Misrata say that the delegation first met yesterday with leading officials from the Russian defence ministry before having talks with deputy foreign minister Mikhail Bogdanov.

The delegation, which flew to the Russian capital on a private jet, is expected to head south to the Chechen capital of Grozny tomorrow, Thursday, to meet Chechnya’s President Ramzan Kadyrov. He is said to have invited them to Russia in the first place.

According to a statement by Russia’s foreign ministry, Bogdanov told the Misratan delegation that Moscow wanted to work together with all of Libya’s parties to find “mutually acceptable solutions to restore the country’s unity”.

This had to come via inclusive “intra-Libyan dialogue with the main political forces, tribes and regions towards creating national bodies of authority, including an army and police to maintain security, law and order and effectively fight terrorism,” the statement insisted.

UN-led efforts promote reconciliation were also one of the main items of the discussions.

Although Russia has been seen as one of Hafter’s main allies and international supporters, Bogdanov offered Russian help to rebuild Libyan stability in talks with Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj three weeks ago in Amman and a four weeks earlier in Moscow.

How successful the Russians were in persuading the Misratan delegation to accept dialogue with the Libyan National Army and Khalifa Hafter is not clear. Mohamed Essa is reported to have embarked on a bitter public attack on Hafter during a press conference in Moscow.

However, Russia’s deputy envoy to the UN, Vladimir Safronkov, today told the UN security council that Khalifa Hafter’s forces should be “the nucleus of the Libyan armed forces in the future.” It was crucial that Hafter and the LNA not be marginalised, he said.

That said, the fate of Libya had to be decided by its people via dialogue Safronkov added. International attention had to focus on Libya, he insisted, and focus on working with all political parties, he said. There was no alternative.

mrwe
Mohamed Essa lashes out at Hafter in a Moscow press conference. The Russians had been expecting Misrata Mayor Mohamed Eshtewi to attend (Photo: Social media)

Meanwhile, in a separate Libya development in Moscow, the foreign ministry has said that it is working to secure the release of Russian sailors held in Tripoli and the return of the bulk carrier MV Merle, arrested off Zawia last month.

According to spokeswoman Maria Zakharova, top Russian foreign ministry officials have met with Serra to press the issue, but that so far there had been no movement on the Libyan side other than the fact that the sailors’ detention was extended by a courts on 3 April for a further month at the request of the public prosecutor.

The vessel is currently being held at Tripoli.

Tags: ChechnyafeaturedLibyaRussia

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Al-Ahly Benghazi celebrates its 70th birthday

Al-Ahly Benghazi celebrates its 70th birthday

Militants bring down another Benghazi bridge say LNA sources

Militants bring down another Benghazi bridge say LNA sources

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.