No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Tripoli based Libyan government condemns attempt to shut down Sharara oil field – Spain, arms smuggling and Saddam Hafter?

bySami Zaptia
August 5, 2024
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Tripoli based Libyan government condemns attempt to shut down Sharara oil field – Spain, arms smuggling and Saddam Hafter?

The Tripoli based Libyan government condemns attempt to shut down Sharara oil field – Spain, arms smuggling and Saddam Hafter? (Photo: NOC).

The Tripoli based Libyan government yesterday condemned what it called the attempt to shut down Sharara oil field. It said it is following up on the technical and security reports it has received regarding the attempt to shut down the Sharara Oil Field, which comes within the framework of new attempts at political blackmail.

It said ‘‘While we clearly denounce and condemn any attempt to disrupt an important economic artery such as the Sharara Field, which represents about 40% of the country’s oil production, with Libya’s production share in it being 88% and the foreign operator’s share being 12%, which results in the aggravation of the suffering of the Libyan people who have paid the price alone for the repeated oil shutdown crises that have caused serious damage to the national economy and negatively affected the lives of our citizens.

We emphasize that oil wealth belongs to all Libyans and may not be used as a pressure card to achieve narrow political or personal goals. The government will not hesitate to take all necessary measures to protect the interests of our people and defend their rights to benefit from the wealth of their country, renewing our call to use the language of reason, uphold the interests of the nation and the citizen, and abandon actions that harm them’’.

Reasons for the partial closure?
Initial reports said that the oil filed was closed by the local Fezzan Movement group who had used the closure of the Sharara field to obtain solutions to local grievances. However, the group quickly refuted this claim, and it transpired that, according to widely published local and international media reports, Saddam Khalifa Hafter closed the oil filed because it is operated by Spain’s Repsol.

Spain and Hafter’s alleged arms smuggling
The closure by Saddam Hafter was, the reports claim, in retaliation for him being stopped at Rome Airport for several hours as a result of an arrest warrant issued by Spanish authorities.

RELATED POSTS

The Libyan Spanish Economic Conference will be held in Madrid, Spain on 23 April

MFZ conducts official visit to Barcelona and Valencia ports, as well as several institutions specializing in port and transport sector in Spain

Spanish authorities had, the reports claimed, issued an international arrest warrant for Saddam accused of an arms smuggling operation foiled by Spain earlier this year. This was when Spanish police had intercepted an arms shipment destined en route from the UAE to Benghazi.

Tags: arms smugglingrepsolSaddam Khalifa HafterSharara oilfieldSpain Spanish

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Misrata Chamber opens registration of contracting companies to implement its projects – including foreign and JV companies

Misrata Chamber of Commerce receives Korean Ambassador and Consul – confirms Korean-Libyan Business Forum to be held in September 2024

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement

Acting Oil and Gas Minister Khalifa Abdel Sadig, and his Office Director, detained over € 457.6 million payment to foreign company

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.