No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

ESDF opens three new health clinics through PPP investments, announces further PPP investment plans

bySami Zaptia
January 15, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The ESDF has opened three new clinics as part of its PPP health sector investments  (Logo: ESDF).

London, 15 January 2021:

Libya’s state Economic and Social Development Fund (ESDF) opened three new clinics last week (9 January) through Private Public Partnership (PPP) investments

The three clinics were the Ruwad ophthalmology clinic, Oxygen clinic, a sanatorium using pure oxygen therapy, and Beverly clinic, a clinic for cosmetic varicose veins. All clinics were investment projects in partnership with the private sector, the ESDF reported.

Future development and investment plans

RELATED POSTS

NOC Chairman affirms partnership with private sector is a cornerstone of developing oil industry

ESDF and subsidiary LIDCO hold meeting with KPMG to follow up on financial evaluation within ESDF’s programme for subsidiary companies

The ESDF said that these were part of its investment programme in the Libyan health sector. It said that it is planning other promising projects and awaits the strengthening of its financial position through revenues from its investments such as its clinics and other investment projects.

The ESDF also said that it is studying the establishment of a medical city, a centre to produce intravenous solutions, and a central pharmacy.

It stressed that the workers in its health centres are Libyan nationals.

The ESDF said that it is working on enshrining the concept of ​​PPP and the need to consolidate its presence in investment projects and in Libyan companies.

Analysis

The jury is still out on the state created ESDF

It must be pointed out that the jury is still out on the ESDF. Leaving aside the fact that they were a Qaddafi creation, forced upon the Libyan public, they are still to make their case for receiving public funds.

The ESDF has been historically, like most Qaddafi-era entities, very un-transparent in its operations and its accounts. Libyans do not have a clear idea of how much of their money has been spent and wasted over the decades since their creation by the Qaddafi regime.

Like most Qaddafi era entities, they are over-employed and have had very little to show for the billions of dinars invested in them.

Created in 2006, the ESDF owns or partly owns a plethora of companies across a wide range of sectors from tourism, manufacturing, real estate to banking.

In 2009 the ESDF was estimated to employ about 27,000 people and worth about US$ 11 bn of assets.

They have proven bureaucratic, ineffective, inefficient and have failed during the last ten years since the overthrow of the Qaddafi regime to solve any of the myriad of Libya’s problems: power cuts, petrol shortages, cooking gas shortages, cash shortages, poor medical healthcare, poor education, poor infrastructure etc.

There are calls for the shut-down or total privatization of these finance-gulping dinosaurs which the private sector sees as unfair competition, as they are not allowed to go bankrupt. However, no going private sector concern would be prepared to take them on without releasing most of their unproductive employees.

Reform plan launched

In September the ESDF announced reform plans to make the group of companies a running concern.

 

ESDF reforms include cancellation of portfolios and dissolution of companies | (libyaherald.com)

ESDF’s Enma company discusses cooking gas cylinder refilling system with municipalities – orders for system received | (libyaherald.com)

ESDF considering US$ 5 m investment loan to its Enmaa Engineering Industries subsidiary | (libyaherald.com)

Over 20,000 without National ID Numbers collecting ESDF low-income salaries | (libyaherald.com)

Priority access to cement for south Tripoli’s war damaged | (libyaherald.com)

ESDF to restart cement production at its Sug Il Khamis Ahlia factory | (libyaherald.com)

 

 

 

Tags: ESDF Economic and Social Development Fundfeaturedhealthcare health medicalPPP Public Private Partnership

Related Posts

NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

February 16, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

February 16, 2026
Minister of Industry meets the Committee for Localisation of Oil Materials and Equipment Industry
Business

Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Tripoli based Military Industries Organisation opens “Libyan Inventor” office
Business

Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

February 15, 2026
HoR condemns Serraj’s foreign intervention call
Business

Economic diversification conference held in Benghazi by HoR and CBL

February 15, 2026
Next Post

UN Secretary-General Guterres calls for unification of Libyan army and police institutions

Italy appoints Pasquale Ferrara Special Envoy for Libya

Italy appoints Pasquale Ferrara Special Envoy for Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.