No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 23, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

14 Zawia refinery Tunisian employees kidnapped by armed gang

bySami Zaptia
February 16, 2019
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

The Serraj MoI says that it is investigating the kidnapping of 14 Tunisians working at the Zawia Oil Refinery (Photo: MoI).
The Serraj MoI says that it is investigating the kidnapping of 14 Tunisians working at the Zawia Oil Refinery (Photo: MoI).

London, 16 February 2019:

Libya’s Tripoli Ministry of Interior (MoI) confirmed media reports of last week’s kidnapping of 14 Tunisians working at Zawia refinery.

The MoI confirmed that they were kidnapped by an “armed group” on their way to work at the refinery. It did not reveal the identity of the group nor disclose if it knew the identity of the group.

Libyan media reports have speculated that the Tunisians were kidnapped in order to be used in a swap for Libyans imprisoned by the Tunisian authorities.

RELATED POSTS

Kidnaper in 2019 of 14 Tunisian nationals convicted for 12 years’ imprisonment

Zawia Refinery security taken over from militias by Libyan Army

The MoI said that it was following the incident with keen interest and concern.
It warned against the consequences of these extrajudicial acts, which endanger the safety of civilians and harm the national interest of Libyans.

The MoI stressed its eagerness to ensure the safety of all foreigners in Libya and said it will not allow the extortion of their countries for personal purposes.

The MoI stressed the close relations between Tunisia and Libya, and said it will not allow these absurd acts to affect them.

The MoI said that Minister Bashagha has instructed the creation of a crisis committee led by security chiefs in Zawia.

He also ordered the declaration of a state of emergency in Zawia’s Security Directorates which were empowered to take all urgent measures and contacts necessary to ensure the safety of the abductees and their immediate and unconditional release.

The MoI said it was communicating with the Tunisian side and informing them of the circumstances and the results of its investigations.

Tags: Fathi Bashagha Interior MinisterfeaturedkidnappingsMoI Ministry of InteriorTunisia TunisiansZawia refinery

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Anti-Hafter, Islamist militia coalition form political party

Anti-Hafter, Islamist militia coalition form political party

14 kidnapped Tunisians released in good health

14 kidnapped Tunisians released in good health

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Aldabaiba calls on CBL Governor to halt all 2026 project spending across Libya – until the newly US-brokered unified spending agreement is adhered to

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.