No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Serraj refers LIA accounts to Audit Bureau and international audit firm

bySami Zaptia
November 27, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Mohamed El-Sallak, the spokesperson for the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj said Serraj has referred the LIA's accounts to the Audit Bureau and an international auditing firm (Photo: Presidency Council).
Mohamed El-Sallak, the spokesperson for the head of the PC, Faiez Serraj, said Serraj has referred the LIA’s accounts to the Audit Bureau and an international auditing firm (Photo: Presidency Council).

London, 27 November 2018:

Presidency Council head, Faiez Serraj, has referred the accounts of Libya’s main sovereign wealth fund, the Libyan Investment Authority (LIA), to Libya’s Audit Bureau and to an international audit firm.

The revelation came yesterday during a press conference held at the Media Centre of the Prime Minister’s Office by Mohamed El-Sallak, Serraj’s personal spokesperson.

The statement by Serraj comes on the back of media reports originating from Belgium that some of Libya’s assets, frozen in Belgium by the United Nations during Libya’s 2011 anti-Qaddafi revolution, had gone missing.

RELATED POSTS

LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

ENI, in partnership with BP, NOC and LIA, commences drilling of deepwater exploration well in Gulf of Sirte

Responding to these reports, Sallak explained that since 2011, the UN Security Council Sanctions Committee had issued a decision to freeze Libyan assets abroad, including those of the LIA.

Sallak explained that these frozen assets produce interest, in addition to some LIA investments that reap profits.

These revenues, he continued, used to and continue to be transferred directly to the accounts of the LIA abroad as well as other state revenues, confirming that until now there has been no evidence of any misappropriation of these revenues.

Throwing light on some of the misunerstandings in Libyan regular and social media that had led to much public uproar, Sallak explained that some countries, namely Belgium, Germany, Italy and the EU, have interpreted the decision of the UN Sanctions Committee to freeze Libya’s assets abroad, not to include interest or profits generated by those frozen assets.

To this end, Sallak continued, the LIA was entitled to benefit from revenues resulting from its frozen assets, and thus was allowed to transfer these revenues to its accounts outside Belgium.

Sallak added that it was from the point of view of safeguarding public funds that PC head Serraj has already referred the LIA’s accounts since 2011 to the Libyan Audit Bureau for review and auditing.

In addition,  it was agreed with the LIA that it would contract with a specialized international auditing company, under the supervision of the United Nations. Sallak confirmed that the LIA had already began contracting procedures.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/12/lia-aware-of-interest-being-moved-out-of-belgium-but-assures-assets-still-frozen/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/09/117901/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/11/01/lia-denies-belgian-media-reports-of-missing-libyan-frozen-assets/

 

 

Tags: audit bureauBelgium Belgianfrozen assets funds abroadLIA Libyan Investment AuthorityUN sanctions committeeUNSC United Nations Security Council

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Next Post
Suspects in former Tripoli security chief’s shooting arrested

Suspects in former Tripoli security chief's shooting arrested

HoR hands constitution Referendum Law to HNEC

HoR hands constitution Referendum Law to HNEC

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • LIA discusses with China’s Chargé d’affaires reinvesting Libya’s Security Council frozen assets to preserve their value

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.