No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC welcomes unprecedented UN sanctions against human traffickers

bySami Zaptia
June 11, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

NOC TOTAL LOGOS 4 EN

London, 11 June 2018:

The National Oil Corporation (NOC) has welcomed the unprecedented UN sanctions imposed last week against human traffickers and smugglers through Libya. It has called for the list to be extended to include Libyan fuel smugglers.

In its statement released Saturday, the NOC said that its Chairman Mustafa Sanalla has welcomed the unanimous decision of the United Nations Security Council’s Libyan Sanctions Committee to designate six individuals for their part in the trafficking and smuggling of migrants; a first since 2011.

RELATED POSTS

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

The statement noted that amongst the names included in this list is known fuel smuggler Mohamed Kashlaf, an individual who has previously defrauded the Libyan state through various illicit acts, including the occupation of the Zawiya refinery and other initiatives related to fuel smuggling since 2011.

The NOC said that it applauds the international community’s efforts to bring those who profit from migrant trafficking and smuggling to justice. It called for this list to be extended further to capture all criminal gangs, including petroleum products smugglers, and those who attempt to steal crude oil to profit from human misery and destabilise Libyan society.

The NOC said that it highly values the close collaboration with Al Sadiq Al-Sour, Head of Investigations for the Attorney General’s office for efforts made to combat widespread criminal activity.

“Smuggling destroys lives – either in the horrors of the migrant trade, or in the outright theft of Libya’s petroleum products and the attempts to steal crude oil – threatening our country’s stability and security’’, the statement quoted NOC chairman Sanalla

‘‘These actions must now be pursued fully by the international community, to degrade and disrupt the entire criminal networks that profit illegally while destroying our country’s recovery.  The Committee has set an important precedent in combatting these crimes – Libyans should also choose to exclude all smugglers from our children’s future.  We call for the sanctions list to immediately expand and include fuel smugglers across our country. This measure will help prosperity and peace to return to Libya.”, Sanalla concluded.

It will be recalled that the UN Security Council had imposed unprecedented sanctions last week on six leaders of human trafficking and smuggling networks operating from Libya.

The sanctions had been introduced by the Netherlands in May, but Russia had delayed the resolution while it established the evidence against the accused. The sanctions impose a travel ban and an asset freeze on the six named individuals, four Libyans and two Eritreans.

It is the first time that the UN Security Council has targeted human traffickers/smugglers.

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/06/08/un-imposes-unprecedented-sanctions-on-six-libya-human-traffickers/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/05/11/fuel-smugglers-sites-bombed-by-air-force-petrol-stations-shut-down-as-part-of-continuing-anti-fuel-smuggling-drive/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/04/27/pc-air-force-supports-nocs-anti-fuel-smuggling-initiative/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2018/03/15/libyan-fuel-smuggling-is-part-of-an-international-smuggling-network-attorney-generals-office/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2017/01/06/pfg-western-division-nasr-brigade-withdraws-from-zawia-refinery-after-sanalla-public-accusation-of-fuel-smuggling-collusion/

 

https://www.libyaherald.com/2016/07/21/gatrani-alerts-maltese-government-to-the-illegality-of-fuel-smuggling-from-libya-to-malta/

 

Tags: featuredhuman traffickers smugglersNOC chairman Mustafa SanallaNOC National Oil CorporationUN sanctions

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post

CBL sets framework for economic reform agreed at Tunis meeting

UN extends Libya arms embargo for another year

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.