No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA explains reasons for handing over oil crescent to eastern NOC

bySami Zaptia
June 26, 2018
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
LNA explains reasons for handing over oil crescent to eastern NOC

The LNA has decided to hand over the eastern Libyan oil installations to the eastern-based NOC (Photo: Screen grab from Al-Hadath TV).

By Sami Zaptia.

The LNA has decided to hand over the eastern Libyan oil installations to the eastern-based NOC (Photo: Screen grab from Al-Hadath TV).
The LNA has decided to hand over the eastern Libyan oil installations to the eastern-based NOC (Photo: Screen grab from Al-Hadath TV).

London, 26 June 2018:

At a press conference held yesterday in Benghazi, the official spokesperson for the Khalifa Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA), Ahmed Mesmari, said that the recent battle at Libya’s eastern oil crescent region was not a ‘‘local’’ battle, but that it was an ‘‘international’’ battle.

In announcing the decision by the LNA to hand over the recaptured oil crescent storage tanks and port terminals to the eastern-based National Oil Corporation (NOC), as opposed to the internationally-recognized NOC in Tripoli, Mesmari said the LNA had suffered and received no reward for its efforts.

Mesmari said that after freeing the oil installation from the then Petroleum Facilities Guard (PFG) regional commander Ibrahim Jadran in September 2016 and handing them over to the then unified NOC based in Tripoli, the LNA were surprised that the LNA received no support or reward for its efforts.

RELATED POSTS

NOC reviews Poland’s Puna oil company’s 2025-26 exploration plans in the Murzuq Basin

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

Ibrahim Jadran had been extorting the Libyan state out of hundreds of millions in order to allow the state to resume oil exports, Mesmari explained.

Instead, he said that the LNA has been the subject of five different attack in the oil crescent region since September 2016 – which it has successfully repelled.

Mesmari said that the LNA has lost 183 soldiers and suffered around 300 wounded soldiers in defence of the oil crescent. The LNA had also lost large amounts of weapons and munitions. For this, he added, the LNA had not received ‘‘a single dirham’’ (penny) from the Tripoli NOC.

He also criticized the Tripoli NOC chairman Sanalla for not crediting the LNA for their efforts in recapturing and protecting Libya’s oil installations.

However, after this latest attack on the oil crescent, Mesmari said that many answers to many questions were now revealed. These included: from where were these (Ibrahim Jadran) militias getting their financial support? Where were they getting their (post battle) medical care? Where were they getting their weapons from? And we discovered that they were paying Chadian mercenaries in dollars, Mesmari added.

Mesmari said that in fact they have discovered that these, what he called ‘‘criminal and terrorist gangs of Al-Qaeda and Chadian opposition soldiers’’, were being financed from the revenues of Libya’s oil – the same Libyan oil that the LNA is protecting.

‘‘We protect, sacrifice, get killed and kill so that oil tankers leave (Libyan ports) and return as money which reaches militias which attack us again’’, he explained.

As a result, explained Mesmari, the decisive decision was taken – a decision that was taken reluctantly and which has long been called for by many – to hand over the oil crescent to the eastern based NOC under the leadership of Faraj Saeed Al-Hassi. All the oil installations in the eastern region will be under the protection of the LNA and run by the eastern-based LNA, he added.

Mesmari assured Libya’s foreign oil partners that the LNA and the eastern NOC will protect their partnerships.

He also informed the Libyan public that ‘‘many of the country’s financial problems will be resolved now and urgently’’.

He claimed that there was much corruption in the Libyan oil sector with militias receiving high salaries – up to LD 5,000 / month – while those wounded protecting Libya’s oil do not receive medical care financed by Tripoli coffers.

Mesmari said that the LNA were still pursuing the Ibrahim Jadran forces – and will continue to pursue them and those who supported them. We will stop looking the other way, he said

The LNA should be financed and should have a special status as a protector of the nation’s wealth, security, sovereignty and power. It should be considered as Libya’s fourth region (after Tripolitania, Cyrenaica and Fezzan), he concluded.

Tags: Eastern oil CrescentFaraj Saeed Al Hassi eastern NOC chairman 2018featuredField Marshal Khalifa HafterIbrahim JadranLNA Libyan National ArmyLNA Spokesman colonel Ahmed MesmarimilitiasNOC chairman Mustafa SanallaNOC National Oil Corporation

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Illegal migration holding camps to be located outside Libyan borders, Italy to supply patrol boats to Libya

Illegal migration holding camps to be located outside Libyan borders, Italy to supply patrol boats to Libya

South Korea to reopen its embassy in September and allow its companies to resume projects in Libya

South Korea to reopen its embassy in September and allow its companies to resume projects in Libya

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.