No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata blocks return of Tawergha

bySami Zaptia
February 2, 2018
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Jamie Prentis.

A deserted street in Tawergha after the residents "left of their own accord" (Photo: Archives from social media)
A deserted street in Tawergha (Photo: Archives from social media)

Tunis, 1 February 2018:

Misrata Municipal Council has urged the Presidency Council (PC) to postpone the return of Tawerghans to their town. On the day the seven-year displaced people of Tawergha were supposed to return, the council said a peace agreement between the town and Misrata had not been fully implemented.

In a statement early this morning the council accused “some parties” of not being interested in putting in place the deal, agreed in June.

Negotiations are on-going between Misrata, tribal elders, Tawergha and the PC to resolve the matter.

RELATED POSTS

The first Libyan Bosnian Business Forum held in Misrata deemed an economic turning point between the two countries

Libyan – Bosnian Business Forum – to be held from 29 to 30 March in Misrata

Under the deal, Tawergha and Misrata were supposed to receive compensation following the violent clashes between the two in the 2011 revolution. It is the lack of financial remuneration to Misrata that is understood to be one of the issues.

Yesterday the Islamist-dominated Misrata Military Council and the Association of the Families of Martyrs and Missing Persons issued similar statements. They were also annoyed that the bodies of Misratan fighters killed in 2011 had not been found and that certain Tawerghan fugitives remained at large.

A convoy of 100 Tawerghan families leaving from Ajdabiya were stopped near Bin Jawad on the road to Sirte. It is believed they were unable to receive permission from Bunyan Al-Marsous to cross any further.

Another 150 families remain in Bani Walid having lived in the town for some years. They were also preparing to leave for Tawergha.

The PC, meanwhile, accused unnamed parties of “seeking to undermine the agreement” and called on all those involved to work towards returning the people to Tawergha safely. It also said it remained committed to following through with the peace agreement and all its clauses.

Today’s debacle is just the latest example of displaced people not being allowed back to Tawergha. Protestors stormed the PC headquarters in December and accused the government of dragging its feet over their return.

During the 2011 revolution Tawergha largely supported Qaddafi and some fighters were accused of sexually assaulting Misratans and mutilating revolutionary fighters.

Tags: featuredMisrataPresidency CouncilTawergha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Tribal retribution killings in Sebha raise tensions

Sharp rise in civilian casualties across Libya in January: UNSMIL report

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.