By Libya Herald reporters.
Benghazi, 2 December 2017:
Saiqa Special Forces Major Mahmoud Al-Warfali, wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) for war crimes and said by the Libyan National Army (LNA) to be in detention while it itself investigates the allegations, has been commanding troops in action against militants.
This was the claim made by Saiqa Special Forces spokesman Milad Al-Zwai who wrote on Facebook that Warfali had commanded Saiqa’s 1st battalion during an assault on militants in Sidi Akribesh on Thursday.
During the assault, which Zwai said had been on an hotel in the district, one solider, named as Ramzan Faraj Al-Adduli, was killed and ten others were wounded. The LNA said that two “terrorists” had been killed in the fighting.
Zwai made no further reference to Warfali’s involvement. However the admission that fighting is still taking place in Sidi Akribesh comes three weeks after Saiqa commander Wanis Bukhamada declared the four-month old battle to be finally over.