No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

US and Libya agree to continue cooperation against terrorism financing

byMichel Cousins
December 5, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
US and Libya agree to continue cooperation against terrorism financing

asda

 

By Libya Herald reporter.

asda
Serraj with US Treaury Secretary Steven Mnuchin (Photo: PC media office)

Tunis, 5 December 2017:

Libya and the US have agreed to continue working together to stop funds going to terrrosists and terrorist organisations. The issue was one of the points of discussion in talks in Washington yesterday between Presidency Council (PC) head Faiez Serraj and US Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin. A statement afterwards from the US Treasury Department said that economic issues facing the Libyan people had been discussed and that Mnuchin had welcomed the department’s “strong engagement” with the PC’s government of national accord (GNA) and the Central Bank of Libya (CBL).

He was referring to the lead the Americans have taken via the US embassy to Libya in trying to bring about economic stability in Libya. The US has mentored a series of financial and economic dialogue meetings – in London, Rome and Tunis – aimed at ensuring the PC and the GNA have the funding from the CBL to function properly.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Tripoli Chamber discussing leading delegation to WOC show in Las Vegas, USA in January

The statement also noted that both men “underscored the importance of continued cooperation in countering the financing of terrorism”.

Thanking the US for its support in trying to resolve the financial and economic crises, Serraj told Mnuchin that these were key elements in the broader Libyan disaster.

According to a statement from his office, Serraj also said that he believed that Libya could overcome the crisis, if a package of economic and monetary policies were put in place in cooperation with the CBL. He also added that the liquidity crisis and the issue of the value of the Libyan dinar had to be resolved. He further explained that he had launched an bid to bring together the CBL in Tripoli and the parallel administration in Benghazi and so unify monetary policy, noting that there had been invitations to Tripoli CBL head Saddek Elkaber and his Benghazi counterpart Ali Hibri to meet with him.

Hibri has accepted but Elkabber has not.

Attending the meeting were Libyan foreign minister Taher Siala and US ambassador Peter Bodde.

Continuing his Washington trip, Serraj also met leaders of a number of US NGO involved in the democratic process and elections. These included USAID, the National Democratic Institute (NDI), the International Republican Institute(IRI) and the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES).

On Sunday, he met with members of the Libyan community in the US.

Tags: Faiez SerrajfeaturedLibyaSecretary Steven T. MnuchinUSWashington

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

Thieves rob Sirte blind office

Libyan journalists slam Amnesty International’s slavery post

Libyan journalists slam Amnesty International's slavery post

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.