No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

HoR elects Mohamed Al-Shukri as new CBL governor; Hibri humiliated

byMichel Cousins
December 20, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A
HoR elects Mohamed Al-Shukri as new CBL governor; Hibri humiliated

asd

By Jamie Prentis.

sdss
Mohamed Shukri (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 19 December 2017:

The House of Representatives (HoR) has elected Mohamed Al-Shukri as the new governor of the Central Bank of Libya to replace Saddek Elkabir. Shukri, from Khoms, received 54 votes. Beida-based acting CBL governor Ali Hebri was humiliated taking only three of the 107 votes.

Ahmed Rajab was given 38 votes, Abdul Hameed Sheikhi nine and there were 3 abstentions.

So far there has been no reaction from the Presidency Council or its government.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

The process to replace Elkabir started earlier this year and the three of the four candidates made their presentations to the HoR back in April.

Shukri is a former director of the Jumhouria Bank. With over 30 years of banking experience, Shukri was also previously a deputy vice governor of the CBL.

“He is very much a bureaucrat. He will follow the rules, he will follow the law,” said one former Libya-based banker. “He was the best of those who were on offer and he knows the banking sector well,” the banker said, adding that Shukri was far better than Ali Hibri.

“I don’t think he will be a brilliant governor but he will do the job reasonably well,” the banker predicted, but doubted whether Shukri would be a man of vision.

The HoR session had been interrupted after protestors outside called for a transfer of power to Khalifa Hafter. They wanted to stop it, claiming that the mandate of the HoR had expired with the supposed end of the Libyan Political Agreement on 17 December. They also accused the HoR of wasting time and contributing to the shortages of food, money and gas.

Tags: Central Bank of LibyafeaturedLibyaMohamed Al-ShukriSaddek Elkabir

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
UNHCR plans to evacuate 8,000 refugees in 2018

UNHCR plans to evacuate 8,000 refugees in 2018

HoR elects new first deputy president

HoR elects new first deputy president

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.