No Result
View All Result
Thursday, May 21, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Nine dead children in UNSMIL’s October civilian body count

byNigel Ash
November 2, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

A grieving woman in a Tripoli cemetery (Photo: Benjamin Lowy)
A grieving woman in a Tripoli cemetery (Photo: Benjamin Lowy)

Tunis, 1 November 2017:

Nine dead children were among the 23 civilians who perished during October according to UNSMIL figures which also showed the number of non-combatants to die doubled over the  figure for September.

The six boys and three girls, including a new-born child,  died in the raid by unidentified warplanes on a farmhouse in Derna’s Al-Fatayeh district on 30 October. Also killed in that attack were three women. Another two females, a man and four children were injured in this strike.  UNSMIL recorded that ambulances carrying injured civilians from the air raids were not allowed to pass through checkpoints at Martouba and Kirsa which it said were controlled by forces allied to the Libyan National Army (LNA)

The month began with the Misrata courthouse gun and explosives attack by the so-called Islamic State in which two male civilians were killed along with two security men. UNSMIL says that it has not been able to establish how many of the 41 injured in this assault on 4 October were civilians.

RELATED POSTS

‘Mini-Meeting’ discusses first two steps of Libya’s UN Roadmap in its first meeting in Rome

UNSMIL calls for immediate release of political activist Mahdi Abdelati – arrested in Misrata

Two days later the body of a mentally-ill Tebu man was found in Kufra with gunshot wounds. UNSMIL said that he had gone missing 24 hours earlier and believed that he had crossed the dividing line with the rival Zwai community.

At the start of the month UNSMIL recorded the death of a man in Benghazi in a dispute between two families. Also in Benghazi on 16 October two men, one of them an Egyptian, were killed in an attack on a restaurant, it said because of a land dispute.

Not all the victims of violence were young. In clashes in Tripoli’s Ghraret district between the Rada (Deterrence) Force and members of the Al-Mungar family, apparently over drug smuggling, an 81 year-old Sufi imam was killed by gunfire. UNSMIL said that there were other casualties in these engagements but pointed out that it had been unable to find out if they were civilians.

On the 21st of the month UNSMIL recorded that a Tawerghan woman had received gunshot injuries when her refugee camp in Sidi Al-Saeh was attacked by the Al-Kani brigade.

Among the other killings, a Qaddafi-era officer was gunned down as he sat in his car in Warshefana.  In the same district suspect car-jackers shot dead a store owner.

Two men kidnapped in Ajdabiya in July were found shot dead in Benghazi. UNSMIL said it had seen a video in which one of the murdered men had confessed to being involved in terrorism.

The UN organisation also noted the discovery of 36 bound bodies near Al-Abyar at the end of the month but did not comment on whether any of the victims were civilians.

Unexploded ordinance, which UNSMIL calls Explosive Remains of War (ERW), continued to take a toll in Benghazi after the recent fighting against militants. Five men were killed and a boy and six other male were injured. In one incident two men, including an Egyptian, were blown up and three others wounded when they went to clean a property around which fighting had raged.

 

Tags: body countfeaturedLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

Monarchist conference in Gharyan calls on Prince Mohamed El-Senussi to take crown

UK provides $4 million de-mining kit for Sirte

UK provides $4 million de-mining kit for Sirte

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority review visual presentation by Spanish company Indra on Modern Aviation Technologies

Turkish institutions ready to contribute to implementation of joint Libyan marine sector projects: Turkish Ambassador Güven Beginç

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.