No Result
View All Result
Sunday, May 24, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC seeks to force through southern fuel shipments

byNigel Ash
October 2, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald Reporters.

The Libyan NOC/Brega's Fuel Crisis Committee fighting fuel smuggling by land (Photo: Brega).
NOC’s Brega subsidiary seeks to resume southern fuel shipments (File photo)

Tripoli, 1 October 2017:

Over a million litres of fuel were today heading to the south of Libya as the National Oil Corporation (NOC) sought to beat the lawlessness which has stopped southern road tanker movements.

NOC’s fully-owned subsidiary, Brega Oil and Marketing, sent of 910,000 litres of petrol and quarter of a million litres of diesel in convoys heading to Jufra and Sebha, to replenish 11 fuel stations in the south.

In recent months, Brega drivers have been killed, kidnapped or dumped when their trucks were seized en route to the south. The most vicious attackers appear to have been mounted by terrorists of the so-called Islamic State. However,  there is strong evidence that some of the trucks have been intercepted by militias involved in fuel smuggling. On at least one occasion, there has been the suspicion that a driver was in cahoots with the smugglers.

RELATED POSTS

Brega confirms readiness to set up Janzour Oil Depot and cooking gas cylinder factory

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

The result has been a dearth of fuel in the south of the country and rocketing prices for petrol and diesel that did get through.  This June, the Fuel and Gas Crisis Committee decided that no more shipments to the south could be made until the Presidency Council (PC)  and local authorities along the route were able to protect shipments.

On Saturday, NOC chief Mustafa Sanalla demanded that exceptional supply efforts should  be made until the fuel shortage in the south was overcome.

What is not yet apparent is how NOC has organised this. The state oil company says that it has  reached deals with local authorities and tribal elders along the route. It also says that it has  received support from the PC’s Government of National Accord (GNA).

However, it is currently unclear if that support involves armed escorts for the trucks heading south. The PC’s presidency guard is still forming, therefore the only military formation likely to be available to protect fuel trucks on their southward journey would be Misratan units from the Bunyan Marsous operation which ejected terrorists from the so-called Islamic State (IS)  from Sirte last year. Elements of this force have already been deployed hunting down IS fighters to ares to the south of Sirte. These search and destroy missions have been supported by US airstrikes.

 

Tags: Bregafeaturedfuel shipmentsLibyaNOCsouth

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Libya signs Health MoU with Morocco on the sidelines of the 79th World Health Assembly in Geneve

May 20, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Libya emphasises it is not destination for irregular migration, cannot become migrant resettlement zone: Rome Quadripartite Cooperation Committee

May 20, 2026
Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Next Post
CBL reveals Libya’s state revenues and expenditures up to Q3 of 2017

CBL reveals Libya’s state revenues and expenditures up to Q3 of 2017

Tripoli clashes between Tajouri forces and Nawasi brigade leave three dead

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL to inject US$ 3 billion in May and another US$ 3.5 billion in June to meet accumulated demand and stabilise currency and commodity markets

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Zueitina Oil Company’s Low-Pressure Gas Compressor Project at Field 103A resumes

Mellitah completes second heavy lifting operation at Bouri field – supporting its “zero flaring” goal

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.