No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC chief says blocking oil output must be made a crime

byNigel Ash
October 3, 2017
Reading Time: 1 min read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Oil blockades are crimes says NOC's Mustafa Sanalla (File photo)
Oil blockades are crimes says NOC’s Mustafa Sanalla (File photo)

Tripoli and Benghazi, 2 October 2017:

National Oil Corporation (NOC) chief Mustafa Sanalla is proposing that blockading any oil production should be made a criminal offence.

He was speaking after the latest interruption to supplies from the giant Sharara oilfield. On Sunday night, production of 234,000 barrels per day, around a quarter of Libya’s total output, was brought to a halt by the men paid to guard the field. They were allegedly complaining about wages.

After talks with Tuareg and Tebu elders, production at Libya’s biggest field is supposed to resume tomorrow morning.

RELATED POSTS

Justice may be delayed, but it is not absent‎: Former NOC chairman Sanalla on yesterday’s oil closures prison sentences

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Sanalla told journalists this evening at NOC’s Tripoli headquarters that the guards had been protesting at unpaid salaries. In fact it appears the problem was not quite so straightforward. The shutdown was forced by armed members of a militia calling itself the 30 Brigade which wants to be included on the strength of the Petroleum Facilities Guard. It has also been demanding compensation for the way it says it has protected the Sharara field since 2014 and wants vehicles and fuel.

There was some annoyance among Tripoli-based journalists this evening that Sanalla chose to first tell the Jordan-based TV station Libya HD that the stoppage at field was at an end.  Reporters had gone to the press conference assuming the blockade was still on. However before Sanalla spoke they were receiving calls from their news desks telling them of the NOC chief’s “exclusive” TV interview.

Sanalla also said this evening that he would be pressing for a national convention that would agree to criminalise any interference with oil production from the field, through the pipes to the export terminals.

Tags: 30 BrigadeblockadefeaturedLibyaMustafa SanallaNOCShararaTebutuareg

Related Posts

Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Next Post
Study on perceptions of EU’s crisis response in Libya recommends security sector reform and non-contradictory policies

Study on perceptions of EU’s crisis response in Libya recommends security sector reform and non-contradictory policies

Insurer warns international shipping of dangerous Libyan waters

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

Military Industrialization Organisation delivers 7,000 cooking gas cylinders it has manufactured locally to Brega Oil Marketing Company

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.