No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Southern border reported blockaded as Qatrun leader confirms “big” drop in migrants coming from Niger

byMichel Cousins
September 8, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Southern border reported blockaded as Qatrun leader confirms “big” drop in migrants coming from Niger

The force purportedly from Qatrun said to have close the southern birder today

By Libya Herald reporter.

The force purportedly from Qatrun said to have close the southern birder today
The force purportedly from Qatrun said to have closed the southern border today (Photo: Fezzan Libya Org)

Tunis, 7 September 2017:

Reports that the border with Niger and Chad has been closed today by an independent force from Qatrun have been partially confirmed by a usually reliable Tebu source.

According to Fezzan Libya Org, the force consisting of army regulars, volunteers and revolutionaries from Qatrun, some 240 kilometres south of Sebha, closed the entire southern border. Confirming the closure, the Tebu source, however, says that the force is led by Barka Shedemi, who is normally based in northern Niger. The source said that Shedemi announced today that he was now blockading the border to end people-smuggling from Niger into Libya.

He is said to control some 700 kilometres of the border having free range on both sides, in southern Libya and in Niger as well as Chad.

RELATED POSTS

Libyan government delegation meets – US Department of Energy – discusses developing oil and gas sector and strategic energy projects

Transport Minister and Undersecretary of Defence visit Chad capital N’Djamena to discuss direct flights, border security and illegal migration

A veteran Tebu militia leader, he is reported to have some 200 vehicles at his disposal. In the past, he was based in southern Libya and is said to have a longstanding hatred of the Qaddadfa tribe, having been captured in the 1980s in clashes with them and had his hand and leg cut off by the Qaddafi regime after being accused of being a brigand.

There is no further confirmation of the closure so far.

The Tebu source claimed that Shedemi was hoping to be paid by the Europeans for his actions.

A major Tebu leader in Qatrun, Sheikh Omar Sandou, meanwhile today told the Libya Herald that there has been a major drop in recent weeks in migrants passing through the desert town from the Nigerien border heading north to Tripoli. Although he did not have figures, he said that the decrease was “big”.

Most migrants, he added, stayed in the town for no more than a couple of weeks to earn enough money to carry on with the journey north. No migrants, he added, came via Chad.

 

Tags: ChadLibyanigerQatrunTebu

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Dayri in fresh Moscow talks ahead of Russian-French Libya deliberations

Benghazi port to open in October

Benghazi port to open in October

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.