No Result
View All Result
Sunday, November 30, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Hafter reappoints former Omar Mukhtar operations room chief

byNigel Ash
August 7, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Khalifa Hafter reappoints the commander he fired a year ago (File photo)
Khalifa Hafter reappoints the commander he fired a year ago (File photo)

Benghazi, 7 August 2017:

Khalifa Hafter has reappointed the man he fired a year ago as head of the Omar Mukhtar operations room against Islamists in Derna. Last August, Hafter said the officer was not considered sufficiently aggressive.

Kamal Al-Jabali resumes his position as commander of the Omar Mukhtar operations room because, according to Libyan National Army (LNA) spokesman Ahmed Mismari, the previous chief, Brigadier Salim Al-Rafadi, was injured in a car crash last week. The full extent of Rafadi’s injuries are unclear. Some reports say he has a broken leg, others that he suffered only bruising.

Rafadi took over this January from Yousef Al-Mabrouk Al-Mansuri who had been Jabali’s first replacement.

RELATED POSTS

Eastern Libyan government engages Turkish company to assess safety of dams

Libya’s Derna flood response cost lives – independent investigation needed: HRW

Hafter originally fired Jabali after LNA positions outside Derna were overrun by local Islamists in an humiliating defeat which cost the lives of a dozen soldiers. At the time, a  source told the Libya Herald that Jabali was not considered sufficiently aggressive and too happy simply to negotiate local ceasefires.

In Derna tension has risen over the past week as all roads in and out of the town have been blocked. The blockade followed the downing of an LNA warplane whose pilots were seized by the Derna Mujahedeen Shoura Council (DMSC). One of the flyers, Colonel Adel Jehani, was executed and images of his body posted online. The DMSC has apologised for this and said those who killed the pilot have been arrested.

The head of the LNA’s air force Major-General Saqr Geroushi announced today that one of the Mig-23 warplanes at Labraq airbase is being renamed after Jehani.

In a clear sign that the LNA is preparing for a tough fight for Derna, the LNA’s Saiqa Special Forces has been moved forward to join the troops investing the town. Saiqa was responsible for the final breakthrough in the fighting against militants in Benghazi’s Gwarsha, Ganfouda, Suq Al-Hout and Sabri districts. Within its ranks is Major Mahmoud Warfali whose alleged appearance in four summary execution videos is being investigated by the LNA.  Saiqa commander Wanis Bukhamda is reported to have said that his attention was now focused on taking Derna.

Meanwhile, Hafter was in Cairo yesterday for talks with Egyptian Chief of Staff and Mahmoud Hegazy. Hafter was said to have praised recent efforts by Egypt to bring together figures from Misrata and the east of Libya in an attempt to find reconciliation. It was reported afterwards that both men agreed they would continue to work together to fight terrorism and bolster security across Libya and Egypt.

Tags: Brigadier Salim Al-RafadiDernafeaturedKamal Al-JabaliLibyaLibyan National ArmySaiq Special ForcesYousef Al-Mabrouk Al-Mansuri

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Benghazi meeting demands reconciliation role for parents of “martyrs”

Benghazi meeting demands reconciliation role for parents of "martyrs"

Gunmen persuaded to quit Zawia refinery

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Public Prosecutor’s Office initiates legal proceedings against members of criminal gang involved in organizing illegal migration by sea

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Benghazi Security Directorate warns against charging any commission on e-payments

Libya needs over one million housing units over next 10 years costing over 200 billion dinars

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.