No Result
View All Result
Monday, September 1, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

GECOL boss wants more power stations to meet “unprecedented” electricity demand

byNigel Ash
July 5, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Part of Sirte's Turkish-built power station, on which work was abandoned in 2014 (File photo)
Sirte’s half-built 1.400 MW Gulf power station, on which work was abandoned in 2014 (File photo)

Tripoli, 4 July 2017:

The Presidency Council (PC)-appointed chief executive of GECOL has blamed excessive electricity consumption for the frequent blackouts that have hit all parts of Libya over the past week.

Ali Mohammed Sassi insisted new generating stations had to be built to deal with the electricity demand. He said plans for new power stations had been delayed since 2011. Existing units also needed to be upgraded he explained in an interview with Libya’s Channel.

Sassi said that energy consumption had increased in an “unprecedented manner” since the 2011 revolution. However, he agreed that Libyans should not have to put up with excuses and it was up to the state and GECOL to address the issues.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

Supreme Council for Energy Affairs holds first meeting

Short and medium-term solutions were being looked at said Sassi. These included constructing small, emergency stations.

Such projects were very important considering the current state of affairs but it he insisted that was not up to GECOL to fund them. GECOL merely submitted proposals to the government and it had been pressing the PC to produce the necessary investment.

Theft and the persistent insecurity only hampered GECOL’s work. He claimed the state electricity supplier had suffered LD 1.3 billion in losses due to thieves, who then sold the stolen metals abroad.

The violence plaguing the country meant that engineers had to abandon jobs and be evacuated after which the infrastructure had been further damaged. In the latest such incident, an armed gang today stormed the small power station at Ajilat and took staff hostage. GECOL has not said if the attack has ended.

Initially, southern and western Libya were affected by the last week’s blackouts las temperatures soared countrywide. The east was then hit, though GECOL described this as a temporary problem only lasting six hours.

Tags: Ali Mohammed SassifeaturedGECOLLibya

Related Posts

UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

August 31, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

Libya’s Emergency Telecoms Management Plan to enhance crisis preparedness, effective response and early warning system – is launched

August 29, 2025
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

August 29, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba and Shakshak discuss use of international auditors to enhance transparency and accountability in public institutions

August 28, 2025
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Ministry of Health to launch National System for Dispensing and Monitoring Insulin‎

August 28, 2025
Adopting Libya’s National Strategy for the Communications and Informatics Sector 2023-2027
Libya

General Authority for Telecommunications and Informatics launches 2025 Frequency Allocation Plan

August 27, 2025
Next Post

Family at Tripoli beach killed in RPG attack: report

LNA advances further into Benghazi’s Sabri district

LNA advances further into Benghazi's Sabri district

ADVERTISEMENT

Top Stories

  • Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • NOC discusses exploration and production with US oil giant Chevron in its 4 billion reserves, 18 bn barrels of shale oil and 123 trillion cubic ft of natural gas

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Qatari shipping line Milaha begins its Libya operations from Misrata Free Zone

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Libyan German discussions include resumption of flights, opening of German Embassy’s visa section and economic and investment cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Medsky to launch new direct flights between Libya and Athens soon

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Following mobilisation of forces around Tripoli, UNSMIL calls for peaceful dialogue and de-escalation: report and analysis

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio considering funding its Libya projects through Islamic bonds

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.