No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Sanalla warns Thinni, commends LNA’s “wise” opposition to export blockades

byNigel Ash
June 14, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

NOC's Sanalla warns the Thinni government (File photo)
NOC’s Sanalla warns the Thinni government on oil sales and renewed terminal blockades (File photo)

Tripoli, 13 June 2017:

National Oil Corporation (NOC) chairman Mustafa Sanalla has told the Thinni government in Beida it should share the Libyan National Army’s (LNA)  “wise view ” that oil export terminals should not be blockaded.

In a letter to prime minister appointed by the House of Representatives (HoR) Sanalla also warns that the crisis between Qatar and its Gulf neighbours should not be used as a cover for the sale of crude from the eastern oil export terminals, which had not been authorised by NOC .

Sanalla was also concerned at a possible resumption of export terminal blockades. Sanalla has estimated that the three-year export shutdown by Petroleum Facilities Guard commander Ibrahim Jadhran in the Oil Crescent had cost Libya some $100 billion.  Such an “irresponsible” step would, he wrote, “only bring further suffering to the Libyan people. It will reduce our national revenues and our ability to pay for vital commodities – fuel, food, power, medicines. It will devalue the dinar even further”.

RELATED POSTS

Justice may be delayed, but it is not absent‎: Former NOC chairman Sanalla on yesterday’s oil closures prison sentences

Spanish visiting medical team perform joint operations in Beida, US-based consultant visiting in Zintan

At this point he lauded the LNA for ejecting Ibrahim Jadhran from the export terminals last year and handing their control back to NOC.

“We respect the Libyan National Army General Command for its responsible opposition to port blockades. It is clear they oppose [the] Jadhran …tactics. They understand they are the path to Libya’s collapse”.

He told Thinni: “I hope you will take notice of their wise position on this matter.”

The trigger for Sanalla’s uncompromising missive was Saturday’s demand by the parliament’s energy and natural resources committee that two key NOC contracts be cancelled because of Qatari connections.  In their sights is the Swiss-based commodities giant Glencore which is buying up to 230,000 barrels per day from the Sarir and Messla fields in the east. But the HoR committee said that last year that Glencore had joined the Qatar Investment Authority in paying $11 billion for a 19.5 percent stake in Russia’s powerful oil company Rosneft. Because of that Qatari connection, the committee wants NOC’s Glencore deal cancelled.

Losing more than a third of the NOC’s contracted sales would blow a hole in Sanalla’s plans to bring oil production up to at least 1 million b/d this year. He warned Thinni that contracts signed by the “parallel” eastern NOC were with companies that Tripoli NOC could not accept as counter-parties and could cost Libya billions of dollars if they went ahead.

“UN Security Council Resolutions and a slew of statements by the international community recognise the NOC as the legitimate seller of oil on international markets,” wrote Sanalla.

“ As I think is obvious by now, we do not take sides in the Libyan political conflict. Our job is to protect and make the best possible use of Libya’s oil wealth, maximising Libyan oil production and oil sales revenues for the benefit of all Libyans.

“The NOC has never awarded contracts to benefit anybody but Libya,” he said. “We act in the Libyan national interest, not in the interests of foreign entities.”

Tags: Beidaexport blockadefeaturedillegal salesLibyaMustafa SanallaNOCThinni

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post

Arrested Dutch activist Snitjer released

Benghazi’s iconic Tahrir Square taken by LNA as Suq Al-Hout hit by airstrikes

Benghazi's iconic Tahrir Square taken by LNA as Suq Al-Hout hit by airstrikes

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.