No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Libya should be more of a priority for the US

bySami Zaptia
November 28, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

(NCUSLR).
(NCUSLR).

Washington DC, 11 May 2017:

Libya should be more of a priority for the US, both in terms of helping address its immediate challenges but also harnessing the country’s potential in the long-term, former prime minister Mahmoud Jibril told a conference in Washington this week.

Coming amid speculation over what shape the Trump administration’s policy on Libya might take, the day-long conference organised by the National Council on US-Libya Relations, which describes itself as a non-profit educational organisation established last year, included a range of speakers on issues from the political crisis to security and the economy. Attendees included US officials, lobbyists and a range of business figures.

The conference was due to take place earlier this year but was postponed after the Trump administration’s travel ban made it difficult for Libyan participants to travel to the US. Earlier advertising for this week’s event featured National Oil Corporation chairman Mustafa Sanalla and Central Bank of Libya Governer Sadek Elkaber as key speakers but neither was able to attend.

RELATED POSTS

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs ”strategic agreements” with ”several large” US Companies

Libya Development and Reconstruction Fund signs contract with Turkey’s Ankamenia for maintenance of Benghazi University’s medical colleges

Others including Presidency Council deputy chair Ali Gatrani, his former PC colleague Musa El Koni and former prime minister Ali Zeidan were also due to address the conference but did not make it.

Several speakers referred to Trump’s recent public comments that he did not see a role for the US in Libya beyond fighting Islamic State militants. Jibril argued that Washington should view Libya with a longer lens, seeing its potential as a future hub of development for the African continent, one which could also act as bridge for Europe.

Walid Phares, a Lebanese-American consultant who served as a Trump campaign adviser on the Middle East and north Africa last year, said that while the US president had stated he had no plan for Libya, “that can change”.

Phares said Trump’s forthcoming visit to the Middle East – during which he is scheduled to visit Saudi Arabia and Israel – along with his attendance at a NATO summit after that “could give him [and our Congress] a view that is more advanced regarding Libya” but he warned Libyans not to expect “dramatic changes”. Phares said more needed to be done to drum up-interest. “Understanding of Libya is limited in the US” – including the appointment of envoys.

Libya’s ambassador to Saudi Arabia Abdulbasit Elbadri, a close ally of Khalifa Haftar and an interlocutor for him with Russia, told the conference he hoped that the issue of greater US engagement with Libya would be raised during Trump’s visit to Riyadh.

In response to a question from the floor, Elbadri said it was not the case that Saudi Arabia was backing Haftar exclusively but, he argued, Riyadh’s view of the Libyan situation was coloured by its decision to designate the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organisation in 2014. Asked about the role of Saudi-linked Madkhali Salafists in Haftar’s camp – they have played a key role in his Operation Dignity since 2014 – Elbadri at first declined to answer the question then acknowledged they had fought for Haftar, describing it as “a matter of revenge”.

Elbadri also spoke about the recent meeting between Presidency Council head Fayez Serraj and Haftar in Abu Dhabi, which he said was the culmination of the “significant role” played by the UAE. He described the meeting as “amicable” but added that the discussions “did not go into details” contrary to reports in pro-Haftar media outlets. The objective of the Abu Dhabi meeting was, he said, not “in search of a political agreement or to [discuss] placing people in positions” but to reassure Libyans who are suffering due to the ongoing crisis.

In a later session on rebuilding the Libyan economy, Mohsen Derregia, former chairman of the Libyan Investment Authority, said any attempts to access Libya’s frozen funds should be rejected given the multiple rival entities currently claiming legitimacy in the country. Earlier this month at the Arab League, Fayez Serraj called for the release of funds that remain under UN sanctions in order to ease the economic crisis. “You will start a new civil war if you unfreeze those funds,” Derregia said.

Tags: HafterJibrilNCUSLR National Council for US Libya Relations Washington DC

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
AU Special Envoy in Saleh talks

AU Special Envoy in Saleh talks

Misratan MPs slam Siala's Hafter remark

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.