No Result
View All Result
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Banks agree loans repayment freeze for LCC employees

byMichel Cousins
May 18, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporter.

Tunis, 16 May 2017:

A number of banks in Benghazi have agreed to suspend loan deductions from the accounts of employees of the Libyan Cement Company (LCC) until the end of the year. It follows an approach to the banks by LCC’s Human Resources department. It made the move, a statement from LCC said, in order “to ease the burden on suffering families in Benghazi”.

With the Hawari cement works out of action having been damaged in fighting and, as a result, staff receiving just a minimum wage, many of them, the statement noted, had been unable to withdraw cash from their accounts because of commitments to make monthly debts repayments.

There had been several meetings to negotiate the issue with the National Commercial Bank, Wahda Bank and Jumhouria Bank both in Benghazi and Beida, the LCC said. The banks had agreed to stop deducting the repayments until the end of 2017 after the LCC provided them with guarantees.

RELATED POSTS

First Phase projects in Benghazi’s Julyana district inaugurated – including five bridges

China’s Ambassador to Libya visits Benghazi on the inauguration of China’s COSCO direct shipping line to the city

It is thought that some 1,400 out of LCC’s total workforce of around 2,200 will benefit from the deal. No figure is available for how much in involved, but but it is said that, individually, the deductions represent a substantial portion of each employee’s salary.

The agreement follows the news that the Beida-based interim government is continuing to pay LCC employees the LD 450 minimum wage that is going to staff of a number of foreign-run companies currently not operating.

In the LCC  statement, Ahmed Ben Halim, chairman of the Joint Libyan Cement Company, its parent company, thanked the banks for the move and said that the LCC was doing all it could to reopen the Benghazi factories, recaptured in April last year. This, though, would take at least a year given the extensive damage to them.

 

 

Tags: BenghaziLCCLibya

Related Posts

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli
Business

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

May 19, 2026
Workshop on strengthening institutional capacities in Libya’s leasing sector
Business

EU4Skills project organises workshop on quality management systems in the marine fisheries and fish products sector

May 19, 2026
Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey
Business

Suspect arrested in possession of over 400 currency debit cards destined for money laundering via UAE and Turkey

May 19, 2026
Libyan Iron and Steel Company achieves record production in HBI and DRI
Business

Bosnia Herzegovina engineering company Energoinvest signs € 2.71 million contract with Libyan Iron and Steel Co to construct a power station

May 19, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

May 18, 2026
Next Post

Sirte reconstruction discussed by Serraj and town’s mayor

Saiqa chief Bukhamada rejects Warfali resignation: report

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Fifth Libyan-German Economic Forum kicks off in Tripoli

CBL renews call on Economy Ministry to prohibit imports without payment through official bank transfers starting from 15 June

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.