No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Ghariani calls on Misrata to allow Tawerghans to return home.

byMichel Cousins
April 28, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Ghariani calls on Misrata to allow Tawerghans to return home.

Sheikh Sedek Al-Ghariani

By Jamie Prentis.

Sheikh Sedek Al-Ghariani
Sheikh Sadek Al-Ghariani (Photo: Social media)

Tunis, 6 April 2017:

Sheikh Sadek Ghariani has urged the authorities in Misrata to allow the displaced people of Tawergha to finally return home and be released from the “miserable life they are going through”.

However, Ghariani also demanded the Tawerghan people hand over those accused of crimes during the 2011 revolution, so they could stand trial. He said that this would ease the pain inflicted on the innocent .

The controversial cleric who is still recognised as grand mufti by the Presidency Council despite Faiez Serraj saying that he was one of four “spoilers” in Libya and despite having been sacked in  House of Representatives in November 2014, was speaking during his weekly programme on his Tanasuh TV.

RELATED POSTS

NOC organises workshop with Germany’s GTG to develop renewable energy projects in oil fields

REAoL and partners conduct field visit to 1 MW Tawergha solar project site

Ghariani, who also heads the Dar Al-Ifta (Fatwa House), focused on the “tragedy” and hardship faced by the estimated 40,000 Tawerghan Internally Displaced People (IDPs), spread across Libya. He revealed a number of Dar Al-Ifta members had visited the IDP camps to witness the conditions they lived under.

He also alleged the government of former prime minster Ali Zeidan had ignored plans to build homes for roughly a thousand Tawerghan families on state-owned land. The Sheikh said he had sent the proposals to Zeidan and his ministry of housing, but was snubbed.  He did not say if the homes were to be built back in Tawergha or elsewhere.

Last August, a UN-brokered peace deal was agreed between Misrata municipal council and Tawergha local council. Though it envisaged some compensation to be provided to the Tawerghans, none would be given to aid the rebuilding of homes and buildings damaged during the fighting the deal stated.

In February, a Tawerghan delegation met Beida-based interim Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni to press their case, but little was agreed. The House of Representatives member for the town, Jaballah Al-Shibani, has previously complained over a lack of funding to construct prefabricated houses for IDP’s- a request echoed by Ghariani yesterday.

During the 2011 revolution Tawerghan fighters supported Qaddafi and his offensive against Misrata. Their forces were accused of numerous war crimes including rape, torture and the mutilation of Misratan soldiers’ corpses.

Tags: featuredLibyaSadek Al-GharianiTawergha

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

GNA reports 30 percent shortfall in Q1 state revenues

Benina airport to partially reopen

Benina airport to partially reopen

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.