No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Rival peaceful protests in Misrata as pressure mounts on municipal council

byMichel Cousins
March 25, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Rival peaceful protests in Misrata as pressure mounts on municipal council

Anti-municipal council protestrs in Misrata today

By Libya Herald reporters.

Anti-municipal council protestrs in Misrata today
Anti-municipal council protestors in Misrata today (Photo: Social media)

Misrata/Tunis, 24 March 2017:

Misrata saw rival protests today, both for and against the municipal council. The demonstration outside the city’s Martyrs’ Hall, demanding the council be sacked, was the larger according to locals, drawing several hundred protestors.

The pro-council demonstrators gathered outside the municipal council offices.

Both gatherings were peaceful and, in the case of the anti-council demonstrators, even “joyful”, according to Mohamed El-Fortia, who ran Misrata hospital during the revolution and who now supports the removal of the council. He added that those attending were mainly young people and that noted Misratan hardliners such as Salah Badi had not been asked to speak. Badi appears, however, to have attended.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

For its part, the council thanked its supporters for turning up and taking part in peaceful protests.

Salah Badi at the Misrata demonstration with friend doing a "selfie" (Photo: Social media)
Photo of Salah Badi purportedly at the Misrata demonstration protesting against military rule, the Muslim Brotherhood, the LIFG and the Salafist Masakhis  (Photo: Social media)

Nonetheless, the pressure is mounting on the council to quit, although for the moment, despite reports today to the contrary, no councillors have resignd. El-Fortia, however, said that while it was proving extremely difficult to dislodge the councillors, the protestors would win in the end. He added that the anti-council movement wanted dialogue but could not negotiate with “criminals”, referring to Hassan Shaba, the former Qaddafi ally who was accused of helping Qaddafi forces in their efforts to enter Misrata in the first attack on the city at the beginning of the revolution.

Shaba has become a main point of contention as far as the anti-council movement is concerned. It has accused Misrata mayor Mohamed Eshtewi of collaborating with Shaba and using him to help negotiate the Tripoli ceasefire agreement nine days ago which Eshtewi signed and which was supposed to put an end to fighting in the capital between Tripoli and mainly Misratan militias. The anti-council movement has firmly condemned the agreement.

For his part, Eshtewi has denied any collusion with Shaba, saying that the man had arrived late during the ceasefire negotiations and had been brought along by someone else.

In the event, the ceasefire was a failure.

El-Forta meanwhile claimed that today’s pro-council protest had also been organised by Shaba. However, this was denied by a pro-council official who attended both demonstrations. Shaba was not even in Misrata, he said. He was in Tripoli.

Shaba, though, is seen largely as a diversion in a battle where the real target is Misrata’s support for the Presidency Council.

For now there is stalemate. The council has accused its opponents of representing only themselves and of trying to impose their views by force, but it appears unable to end the crisis. On the other hand, the announcement three days ago by the anti-council activists that the council had been sacked and that no organisations in the city would any longer take orders from it has so far turned out to be wishful thinking.

Misrata Council thanks demonstrators for their peaceful support
Misrata Council thanks demonstrators for their peaceful support

The crisis shows every sign of continuing. The role of the city’s military units is being seen as  crucial. The “anti” movement is supported by the city’s hitherto power military council and a number of smaller militias. The council is backed by the mainstream units, such as Halbous and Mahjoub.

While they continue to support  it, its future is seen as secure.

Tags: featuredLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Presidency Council sets up new Sirte security force

Presidency Council sets up new Sirte security force

Coast road between Tripoli and Zawia reopens after last-minute mediation with Wershafani militia

Coast road between Tripoli and Zawia reopens after last-minute mediation with Wershafani militia

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

HoR Members, Benghazi Municipality and Benghazi Chamber meet British business delegation visiting Benghazi

There is no shortage of food supplies in the Libyan marketplace: Customs Authority

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.