By Libya Herald reporter.
Tunis, 25 March 2017:
The coastal highway west of Janzour finally reopened this afternoon following last-minute mediation by the Presidency Council’s local government minister and a delegation of elders from Tarhouna. Up until that point it seemed that Wirshefana forces were going to keep it closed unless two billion dinars were paid in compensation for losses suffered by their community.
Earlier in the day at a meeting in Janzour attended by local officials as well as representatives from the interior and defence ministries and from neighbouring districts,it was decided that the road had to be reopened.
It has been closed at a number of locations, including the Wirshefana-contolled Gate 27, by the now destroyed Camp 27, and at Zawia. Moves, though, for traffic to flow again had been gaining momentum during the week. Several Wirshefani representatives attended a meeting several days ago at which it was agreed to reopen the highway and, as a result of this, a number of sand barriers in Wirshefana areas were removed on Tuesday.
Following today’s meeting, mechanical diggers were immediately dispatched to shift sand barriers at Gate 27 but were then stopped by Wirshefani fighters.
According to Janzour media centre, the fighters said the road would remain closed unless two billion dinars were paid. They were also said to have made a number of other demands.
Negotiations then took place involving the minister and the Tarhouna delegation, which finally paid off.
Traffic was flowing along the highway in both directions late this afternoon.
The main militia in Janzour, Fursan Janzour (“Knights of Janzour”), though, has said that travelling was not necessarily safe and it could not held responsible for anyone’s security beyond Tripoli West power station.