No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Misrata municipal council gets full Presidency Council backing after hardliners attempts coup

byMichel Cousins
March 22, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Misrata municipal council gets full Presidency Council backing after hardliners attempts coup

qwe

By Libya Herald reporter.

Eshtewei 2
Misrata municipal council leader Mohamed Eshtewi speaking to TV stations today (Video grab courtesy of Misrata TV)

Misrata, 22 March 2017:

The Presidency Council (PC) has declared its firm support for Misrata municipal council after hardliners announced it had been sacked and would be replaced by a steering committee.

In a statement today, the PC said that it would have no dealings with anyone other than the elected municipal council, that what the hardliners were doing was criminal and undemocratic, and that legal action had to be taken against them.

Yesterday, at a public meeting on the Martyr’s Hall in central Misrata called by the militants, it was announced that the municipal council had been suspended, that an interim steering committee was being set up to run the city and that fresh elections for a new municipal council would be organised.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Despite the attempted coup, the militants said they supported democracy and the peaceful transfer of power.

Led by the Misrata military council leader Ibrahim Ben Rajeb, a known Islamist, they also include Ali Al-Jaarani, who was a member of the previous local council. He is said to have been promised the job of heading the interim steering committee.

Supporters of fellow Misratan Khalifa Ghwell and his so-called “National Salvation Government”, the militants have been trying to force the municipal council to resign for some time. Matters came to a head last Friday evening following anti-Misrata protests in Tripoli, when they stormed the municipal council offices. That was followed on Sunday with them occupying the building housing Misrata FM radio and Misrata TV and announcing that the municipal council had been removed.

Following the declaration, they declared there would be a public meeting to ascertain the mood of the city and decide what to do with the municipal council. In the event, the meeting yesterday evening was packed with hardliners and their supporters – many of them refugees from Benghazi – who constantly shouted for the council to be sacked.

qwe

PC statement of support for Misrata Municipal Council

The hardliners are seen as trying to take of a growing sense of public frustration with Misrata municipal council for being preoccupied with national politics and not with delivering local services.

“We have an unfinished hospital, damaged infrastructure, a housing crisis, broken roads needing to be resurfaced, inadequate draining resulting in flooding every time it rains – lots of problems, and lots need to be done,” noted one prominent local civil society activist who did not want to be named.

Despite this, however, he said that the efforts to topple the council would not succeed. “The vast majority of ordinary Misratis refuse this [move],” he said.

It would fail from several reasons, he said. Quite apart from the PC’s refusal to have anything to do with them, no institutions of state, such as the Central Bank, would work with them. Nor would other municipalities. “It is a failure from the start,” he said.

Significantly, a senior commander of the Halbous Brigade – one of the city’s more important army units – has said that it completely rejects the militants’ move. The Mahjoub Brigade, one of the other top Misratan units, has made no announcement but is said to also fully support the municipal council.

The council has dismissed the militants’ moves.

Meanwhile, this morning journalists from Misrata FM and Misrata TV protested outside the court building in Justice Square insisting that the stations must not be dragged into political disputes.

Misrata militants copy
Misratan hardliners declare Misrata Municipal Council removed (Photo: Social media)
Tags: featuredLibyaMisrata

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
Sewehli calls on Italy to push for international criminal proceedings against Hafter and the LNA for alleged war crimes

Sewehli calls on Italy to push for international criminal proceedings against Hafter and the LNA for alleged war crimes

Kobler warns of war crimes being committed in Libya

Kobler warns of war crimes being committed in Libya

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Ministry of Industry exploring establishing two-million-ton annual capacity “environmentally friendly” cement plant with China’s Goodwill Ceramic

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.