No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

LNA counter-attacks appear to fail while further retreats reported

byNigel Ash
March 6, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
LNA counter-attacks appear to fail while further retreats reported

What is said to be a BDB checkpoint near Ras Lanuf (Photo: Social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

What is said to be a BDB checkpoint near Ras Lanuf (Photo: Social media)
What is said to be a BDB checkpoint at Ras Lanuf (Photo: Social media)

Benghazi and Tunis, 5 March 2017:

There have been reports of confusion and panic among LNA commanders when Benghazi Defence Brigades fighters attacked Sidra and Ras Lanuf on Friday. There is also likely to have been considerable anger among LNA top brass that an assault, so long anticipated, should have succeeded with such apparent ease.

It is now clear that the LNA counterattack on Ras Lanuf was not the complete success originally claimed.  Indeed one source insisted today that the troops had been pulled back from the town purely so that a series of helicopter and fixed wing airstrikes could go in.

This evening, LNA spokesman Colonel Ahmed Mismari said that BDB militia had been joined by fighters from Misrata. It is understood that militiamen from Sabratha have also arrived at the front.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba instructs CBL to terminate Arkenu Oil Company’s oil sales agreement

PM Aldabaiba reopens Tripoli Zoo after a 17-year closure: a symbolic turnaround for the Zoo – from a militia military base back to a leading recreation destination

Battlefield reports have been confused. At one point today the LNA was claiming to have retaken Ras Lanuf airfield which is to the immediate west of the town.

But later there were reports that soldiers had withdrawn towards Al-Uqaylah and even another 50 kilometres further east to the Brega export terminal.   Jamal Zubia, foreign media department chief of Khalifa Ghwell’s resurrected National Salvation Government, claimed tonight that the LNA was withdrawing toward Ajdabiya.

The LNA has been uncharacteristically quiet about battlefield casualties which suggests the degree of confusion its units have experienced. It is known that four LNA soldiers have been killed at Ras Lanuf, all members of the Magharba tribe.

The BDB is boasting of seizure of artillery and vehicles. When it overran Ras Lanuf airport,  it appears to have captured a Mi-17 helicopter gunship

Despite the fighting, a senior source at the National Oil Corporation (NOC) has said that yesterday an unnamed tanker completed loading 400,000 barrels of crude at Ras Lanuf and then sailed out. The same source said that the BDB and its allies were in complete control of all of Ras Lanuf and Sidra.  The NOC have withdrawn their staff from the terminal and also from Sidra.

The reverses of the last 48 hours have clearly dented Hafter’s military reputation. Until now, his reduction of Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council and their Al-Qaeda and Ansar Al-Sharia terrorist allies in Benghazi has been painfully slow and costly. Six more soldiers died yesterday in the siege of the 12 Apartments complex in Ganfouda in which the terrorists are supposedly cut off from all food and ammunition resupply.

But last June at Ajdabiya, he defeated the first BDB attack  toward Benghazi. Then his rapid and almost bloodless September seizure of the eastern oil terminals won him widespread admiration. It was though, the result of a deal with the men on site protecting the terminals, not of a military victory.

The operation saw off the Petroleum Facilities Guard of Ibrahim Jadhran which had occupied  and kept the terminals largely shut down since 2014. NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla said that Libya had lost $1 billion in oil sale because of Jadhran.

Once the LNA  had taken over the Sidra, Ras Lanuf, Brega and Zuetina export terminals it handed them back to NOC in Tripoli to run.

Today an LNA convoy reportedly came under fire as it moved through Ajdabiya, Jadhran’s home town. Three people were arrested and said to be Jadhran supporters.

Tags: featuredHafterLibyaLNARas LanufSidra

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

LNA denies ground clashes near Derna, but admits air strikes

Conference on protecting and promoting Libya's archaeological treasures

Top Stories

  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.