No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

byNigel Ash
March 19, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Kobler says he believes most Libyans still back the LPA

By Jamie Prentis.

The UNSMIL,EU, AL and AU representatives in Cairo today (Photo: UNSMIL)
The UNSMIL,EU, AL and AU representatives in Cairo today (Photo: UNSMIL)

Tunis, 18 March 2017:

Kobler believes most Libyans still back LPA

UN envoy Martin Kobler claimed today that 70 percent of Libyans support the Skhirat agreement. He also  once again warned that the ban on supplying weapons the Libya would remain in place until its security forces were unified.

This policy has particularly enraged armed forces commander-in-chief Khalifa Hafter, who has questioned why the international community refuses to arm his Libyan National Army which he says is actively engaged in fighting terrorism.

RELATED POSTS

Economy Minister Hwej meets high-level African Union delegation – sustainable development and alignment of national programmes with goals of Agenda 2063 discussed

First joint Italian Libyan company to export fish to European markets launched

Kobler also congratulated the Presidency Council (PC) for negotiating this week’s ceasefire in Tripoli,  despite the fact the deal does not include some of the key militias.

Kobler was speaking at a quadrilateral meeting, called by the Arab League at its Cairo headquarters. Besides UNSMIL, the Arab League secretary-general Ahmed Aboul Gheit hosted EU foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini and African Union special representative to Libya Tanzania’s Jakaya Kikwete.

After the summit Kobler said all sides believed Libya needed a “united army with a clear chain of command, reporting to a superior commander under civil authority.”

The quartet, he said, also support the Libyan Dialogue that would bring together House of Representatives and State Council members to agree on “limited amendments to the Libyan Political Agreement (LPA).”

The meeting also threw its weight behind the LPA and the PC’s Government of National Accord. Nonetheless, the quartet urged the PC to try and calm the fighting in Tripoli

At a press conference later the group condemned the Oil Crescent fighting which had threatened Libya’s most valuable asset. A single oil company was essential to reap economic benefits of oil production.

Yesterday, Mogherini predicted the meeting’s focus would be on coordinating support for regional and UN efforts to help Libya’s political transition.

The EU has majored on stemming the migrant tide from Libya. Last month all 28 EU states agreed a €200-million plan to combat migrant flows, with the key emphasis on effective EU border control.

However, Mogherini had previously stressed that the issue of migrants forms only part of the EU’s broader focus seeking to improve Libyan governance and security.

 

Tags: African UnionArab LeagueCairoEUfeaturedLibyaUNSMIL

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post

LNA soldiers accused of "heinous" war crimes after Ganfouda victory

Three thousand migrants rescued in a single day

Three thousand migrants rescued in a single day

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seventy percent of waste is recyclable and can earn money – councils must work with the private sector to solve their recycling problems

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.