No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Business

Italians hungry for Libyan business “but not at the cost of their lives”

byNigel Ash
February 22, 2017
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A
Italians hungry for Libyan business “but not at the cost of their lives”

By Alessandra Bocchi.

Libyan Italian-170217

Tunis, 16 February 2017:

Libya has always been a natural market for Italy but though Italian businessmen are anxious to return, security remains the key inhibitor, not least since last year’s murder of two Italians seized by IS terrorists in Sabratha.

“Italians are hungry for business investments in Libya, but not at the cost of their lives”, said Arnaldo Guidotti head of construction company Emaco. Since last year’s killing of two Italian nationals working for Italian construction company Bonatti after they were seized by ISIS militants in Sabratha, fear has overridden ambition.

RELATED POSTS

Rethinking the Central Bank’s Policy: Why Weekly Dollar Auctions Are the Key to Defeating Speculators – Husni Bey

Libya needs transparent reforms – Deposit Certificates & dollar auctions to restore fairness, stability, and confidence in Dinar: H Bey

Emaco is an Italian construction company that has been in Libya since the 1970s. After 2014, it cut back its employees from around 650 to 30. Only a dozen Italian companies are left operating in Libya compared to 40 in 2014, said Guidotti.  None of them were really interested in the country’s politics, he added; what they hoped to see was stability.

With Qaddafi’s fall, Italian investors had hoped to expand rapidly in Libya. “We had €300 million of credits in Italy in the 1990s”, said GianFranco Damiano head of the Italian-Libyan Chamber of Commerce. “After the fall of Qaddafi that figure rose to almost €650 million.” But by 2014 most projects were either suspended or had been abandoned because of the increased risks posed by a lack of security.

Moreover, Italy’s backing of the UN-backed Government of National Accord in Tripoli has produced hostility in the east from the House of Representatives and Libyan National Army commander Field Marshal Khalifa Hafter.

This may be set to change. Italy’s ambassador in Libya, Giuseppe Perrone, has said Hafter must be part of a solution to bring end to the instability in the country.

Emaco has offices in both Tripoli and Benghazi and also operates in the south, despite the tribal tensions.  But working in Libya is challenging. According to Guidotti, the Italian oil and gas giant Eni, which cut its expatriate work force because of threats, survives in Libya by using rival militias.

“It has been a very long period of difficulty, six years now – more than any world war – but things are slowly beginning to change,” said Damiano. His chamber has recently launched seminars on doing businesses in Libya. In his view, both Italian and EU politicians have failed to realise the potential of private business investments in stabilising the country. “If you offer a man a job, you will take away his Kalashnikov,” he said.

But lack of security is not the only issue affecting Libya’s economy.  Oil income is down through a combination of lower prices and reduced production.

Libyan businessman Husni Bey explained: “Exports to Italy were only marginally affected in the 2011 crisis, but not so in 2014 and after.”

While the drop of imports in 2011 was a result of the UN embargo and the freeze on Libyan assets, between 2015 and 2016 the major cause of the trade and budget deficit was the fall oin oil prices. In addition Libya had gone from exporting 1.6 million barrels a day to just 250,000 bpd, said Bey. Despite the latest boost in production after the eviction of militia leader Ibrahim Jadhran from the eastern export terminals in the so-called Oil Crescent, Libya was still only producing around 700,000 bpd.

Bey also pointed out “ENI is the only foreign oil company still fully operational and the one least suffering from the crisis because most of ENI production is extracted from offshore fields. The oil and gas industry has done well for Italy but badly for all other commercial sectors,” Bey added.

For this reason, Italian-Libyan Chamber of Commerce has started seminars to kick-start projects between Italian investors and Libyan entrepreneurs. To make this work, the chamber called for an easing of Italian visas restrictions for Libyan nationals. The idea was  welcomed by both Italian companies and the GNA-appointed Libyan ambassador for Italy, Ahmed Safar.

However, according Damiano, the government in Rome has not responded. Nor is it addressing the shortage of export credit guarantees for Libyan deals. He also stressed that his chamber wanted to push new business in all parts of the country. “Cyrenaica, in the east, is very important for our business initiatives, especially in oil and gas,” he said. A unity government that embraces east and west would, he said, be likely to transform business prospects.

Tags: Aunoldo GuidottifeaturedGianFranco DamianoHusni BeyItalian-Libyan Chamber of CommerceItalyLbya

Related Posts

LAIP delegation visits Maputo, Mozambique to recover seized rice project
Business

Libya Africa Investment Portfolio holds coordination meeting with Nigerian embassy on Transit Corridors Project

November 28, 2025
Libyan Export Promotion Centre changes to become Libyan Export Development Authority – new logo adopted
Business

Libyan Export Development Authority to launch subsidised direct shipping service to Sub-Saharan African ports

November 28, 2025
LBBC concludes productive Benghazi visit strengthening UK-Libya business collaboration
Business

Libya’s energy transition represents one of North Africa’s most significant infrastructure opportunities: LBBC Chairman Peter Millett

November 28, 2025
Toyota Libya starts training 8 youth as part of its regular “Discover Your Talent” training programme
Business

Toyota Libya signs MoU with Ministry of Labour and Rehabilitation to strengthen cooperation in training and skills development

November 27, 2025
NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port
Business

NOC chairman participates in expanded meeting on new fuel import mechanism through tender

November 27, 2025
LBC leading delegation to Miami for America’s Food and Beverage Show – 18 to 20 September
Business

Libyan Business Council hosts Italian Consul and Commercial Attaché to discuss Italy’s Residency and Investment Programmes

November 26, 2025
Next Post

Attorney-general demands release of kidnapped Tripoli doctor

“We are the LNA, we are everywhere in Libya” says LNA spokesman

“We are the LNA, we are everywhere in Libya” says LNA spokesman

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.