No Result
View All Result
Monday, February 16, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Trio of Russian sailors released. Moscow wants freedom for three more

byNigel Ash
October 25, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

The Russian owned tanker Temeteron (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)
The Russian-owned tanker Temeteron arrested in June whose crew is still held (Photo: MarineTraffic.com)

Tripoli, 25 October 2016:

Three detained Russian sailors arrested in 2015 have been released 24 hours after the visit by Russian MPs to Presidency Council deputy chairman Ahmed Maetig. However the foreign ministry in Moscow is now calling for the release of three more Russians held after the arrest in June of another tanker.

The trio of sailors from the Mekhanik Chebotarev were accused of fuel smuggling when their tanker was seized off Zuwara in September 2015 returned to Russia yesterday. A specially-chartered aircraft took them from Mitiga to the Chechnyan capital Grozny. Adam Delimkhanov one of the MPs who saw Maetig had made at least two other visits to Tripoli in the last year. A cousin of Chechen ruler Ramzan Kadyrov he appears to have spearheaded efforts to release the men.

Between the meeting with Maetig and their flying out yesterday, according to the Russian foreign ministry, they apparently had some sort of trial. It is unclear what the court’s finding was. Sadiq Al-Sour, head of the Public Prosecutor’s office has made no comment.

RELATED POSTS

Aldabaiba defends subsidies, grants, overspending, over-employment – will support housing but not corruption

Top Brega Oil Marketing Co. official detained in connection with smuggling of 22 million litres of subsidised diesel

Moscow said that it was grateful to everyone who had helped secure the release of Andrei Krynin, Stanislav Sirotkin and Valery Savitsky.

It said however that three more Russians, captain Vladimir Tekuchev, chief officer Samoilov and senior engineer Pashchenko were still being held after the arrest this June of the oil/chemical tanker Temeteron, again on suspicion of fuel smuggling.

They are being held with an unknown number of other members of the multinational crew. “All possible measures have been taken to secure their release, “ said a foreign ministry statement today, “which is difficult due to the military and political tensions that have persisted in Libya for the past several years and the lack of central control over several regions”.

The ministry repeated its advice that Russians do not visit Libya. It is unclear what has happened to the two arrested tankers.

Tags: Adam Delimkhanovfeaturedfuel smugglingLibyaMaetigMekhanik ChebotarevRamzan KadyrovTemeteron

Related Posts

Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Libya’s western-based army opens enrolment
Libya

General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

February 14, 2026
Janzour militia clashes cause damage to Tripoli West power station
Libya

Calm returns to Janzour after overnight militia clashes

February 13, 2026
Next Post
Saudi Arabia set to announce Libya reconciliation talks in next few days

Saudi Arabia set to announce Libya reconciliation talks in next few days

Top international lawyers quietly close Tripoli office

Top international lawyers quietly close Tripoli office

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • MFZ signs strategic maritime MoU with the Egyptian company MAPSO to enhance capabilities in building and maintaining marine vessels

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Saif al-Islam Qaddafi buried in Bani Walid next to his brother – thousands attend funeral as supporters of former regime display old green flag

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

“Transition to Clean Energy in Fezzan” symposium held by University of Fezzan and supported by NOC

CBL reaches agreement with importers to urgently deliver 2.5 million boxes of cooking oil

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.