No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Return of Waha production helps oil output to 580,000 bpd

byNigel Ash
October 18, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Return of Waha production helps oil output to 580,000 bpd

By Libya Herald reporters.

Nodding donkeys in the Waha fields (Photo: Waha Oil)
Nodding donkeys in one of the Waha fields (Photo: Waha Oil)

Tripoli and Tunis, 18 October 2016:

Libya has restarted production from the Waha fields bringing the country’s total output to 580,000 barrels per day, up some 80,000 bpd since the National Oil Corporation’s last posted figure.

A NOC executive was reported by Reuters to have said that oil from the fields, which are Libya’s oldest, was not being pumped to Sidra, as in the past. The infrastructure there, including the tank farm, was extensively damaged in separate attacks by Misratan Libya Dawn Forces in December 2014  and IS terrorists this January. The production, which actually began last week, is instead being diverted to Ras Lanuf.

After the Revolution, the Waha fields had a capacity of around 350,000 bpd. Over and above reservoir management issues, to bring these and other fields back to their full production will require considerable work.

RELATED POSTS

Two Libyans and five expatriates detained for deliberately falsifying civil status data in Tobruk

Zawia Oil Refining Company prepares to establish 100-million litre industrial oils plant in Benghazi‎

NOC Chief Mustafa Al-Sanallah has said that engineers are working “day and night” to fix damaged infrastructure. Sanallah and a team of NOC’s senior officials from Tripoli have been touring the Oil Crescent in recent days to check progress on Libyan production hitting the 900,000 bpd December target that he announced last month. Their visits included the Hariga export terminal in Tobruk as well as the town’s refinery.

NOC officials a Hariga loading dock in need of maintenance (Photo: NOC)
NOC officials inspect an Hariga loading dock in clear need of maintenance (Photo: NOC)

Sanallah took the opportunity to point out that that the country was losing up to 400,000 bpd of export earnings from the El Fil (Elephant) and Sharara fields in the west because of the closure of a pipeline by Zintan.  He said that NOC planned to take court action against those who had turned off the pipeline valves. He repeated that this interruption had so far cost Libya $27 billion which, he added, was money urgently need to rebuild the economy, restore peace and recover from an “unparalleled disaster”.

Apart from security, the biggest constraint facing NOC is money for equipment and people, said John Hamilton a director of Cross-border Information. He cited, as an example of the technical challenges, the pre-revolutionary need for more power generation in the supergiant Sarir field, in order to increase supply to Hariga.

“Then they need to get the terminals operating”, Hamilton told the Libya Herald,“They probably have to do maintenance on some pipelines. And they have to rebuild the logistical bases. Engineers in the desert need places to sleep and eat”.

Then, he said, it was a question of bringing the field back on, well by well. “Some will start producing immediately, others won’t”.

Tags: featuredHarigaLibyaNOCoilRas LanufSanallahSidraTobrukWaha.

Related Posts

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Jebel Nafusa towns form joint operations room

Jebel Nafusa towns form joint operations room

PC’s Al-Amari says Rixos coup will be ended legally

PC's Al-Amari says Rixos coup will be ended legally

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.