No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Mystery over position of Thinni government interior minister Fakhri, but spokesman resigns

byMichel Cousins
June 8, 2017
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Mystery over position of Thinni government interior minister Fakhri, but spokesman resigns

Thinni meeting with Interior Minisry officials on

By Libya Herald reporter.

Thinni meeting with Interior Minisry officials on
Thinni meeting with Interior Minisry officials on Tuesday, without the minister, General Mohamed Al-Fakhri (Photo: Thinni government)

Benghazi, 12 October 2016:

The position of General Mohamed Al-Madani Al-Fakhri, the Thinni government’s interior minister, has become unclear with contradictory claims from Beida, Benghazi and the interior ministry itself as to his current position.

There were reports on Monday that he had been relieved of his duties by interim prime minister Abdullah Al-Thinni, although still officially remaining in post (which technically was “acting minister”).

This was again stated today to the Libya Herald by sources in Benghazi close to Khalifa Hafter who named the person effectively taking over as Hussain Al-Abbar.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Appearing to confirm these reports, the Thinni government Facebook page yesterday published a report of Thinni, in the absence of Fakhri, chairing a meeting of heads of the interior ministry.

However, a former cabinet colleague told this newspaper today that Fakhri had been reinstated. Seemingly supporting this, the Beida interior ministry reported that yesterday Fakhri was on an inspection trip with Major-General Abdul Razzaq Al-Nazhouri to Musaid on the border with Egypt.

Meanwhile, in a cryptic statement seen as related, the Thinni government said on its Facebook page today that the media should not rely on social media rumours or news leaks but wait for official pronouncements from its spokesman.

The cause for Madani’s removal, according the Benghazi sources, was an incident last week in Shahat in which an alleged drugs dealer was killed by police from Benghazi in an apparent identity mix-up.

According to several reports, police sent from Benghazi by Fakhri arrived in Shihat intending to raid a house believed to used by an Islamic State supporter. The next door neighbour, allegedly a drugs dealer, apparently thought they were coming for him and started shooting at them, reportedly killing two policemen and wounding seven others before himself being shot dead. In the confusion, apparently, the police thought that the dealer was a IS gunman who had managed to escape to the house next door.

According to the former cabinet colleague, the Shihat incident has been used by the prime minister to crack the whip at a capable interior minister with whom he feels uncomfortable. However, the former cabinet member added, Fakhri is close to Hafter which he says is why he would be reinstated.

Fakhri is also reported to have the support of that leaders of the Hassi tribe, of which the alleged drugs dealer was a member. On Sunday they told Thinni that Fakhri and the police were not to blame for the mix-up and that Fakhri should remain in office.

Meanwhile, Thinni has lost his spokesman, Hatem Al-Oraibi. He has resigned saying that he cannot do the job and that of the head of the Beida’s government’s Radio and TV Corporation.

He has been replaced by Abdul Hakim Mohamed Milad Matouq.

Tags: Abdullah Al-ThinnifeaturedLibya

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post

Tripoli politicians boycott Jikharra unity forum

Bank of North Africa staff protest in Fezzan

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Minister of Housing from Baku: Completion and construction of 150,000 housing units and the transition towards smart cities‎ is the aim

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.