No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

France denies supporting Hafter but says he should be in a wider Libyan government

byMichel Cousins
October 6, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
France denies supporting Hafter but says he should be in a wider Libyan government

French Foreign Minister

By Michel Cousins.

French Foreign Minister
French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault interviewed on TV5 Monde about French policy on Libya (video grab)

Tunis, 4 October 2016:

France want the Presidency Council and the Government of National accord led by Faiez Serraj to succeed but it also believes that it has to be widened out to “include all the Libyan political forces from all the Libyan regions”, a spokesman for the French foreign ministry said today. He was stressing comments made on TV by French foreign minister Jean-Marc Ayrault after the meeting in Paris yesterday of representatives from Egypt, France, German, Italy, Qatar, Spain, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, UK, UAE, USA, as well as Martin Kobler, the UN Special Envoy to Libya.

In his TV interview with TV5 Monde, Ayrault said that the divergent movements and personalities in Libya had to be brought together in Serraj’s government so that it could fight terrorism and enable the oil economy to get going again for the benefit of all the Libyan people.

For that reason, Serraj “has to make new proposals to expand his government – I think in particular to find a place for General Haftar who is present militarily in the east so that all Libyan forces are united to develop the country”, he said.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UNICEF and France partner in “Baity-My Home” initiative for vulnerable children

Only if the Libyans united would they be able to fully defeat the terrorists in Benghazi and Sirte.

Asked about reports that France had been helping Hafter, Ayrault firmly rejected the idea insisting that Paris supported only “the government of Mr Serraj which is the government of national accord”. The army was responsible for Libya’s defences but overall control of it had to be in civil hands, he said.

As to the oil, whether in the east or the west, it too had to be under the GNA’s ultimate control, and in the hands of the NOC.

The reason why France and Europe were so concerned Libya, he said, was first and foremost because they want stability in Libya for the sake of the Libyans but also because Libya is not far away and is a land of passage for tens of thousands of migrants fleeing misery in their own countries.

Ayrault did not say what the practical outcome of the Paris meeting had been, nor whether he thought it had been a success.

Tags: featuredFranceJean-Marc AyraultLibya

Related Posts

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 18, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba criticises corruption and mismanagement within health sector – calls on sector to reform itself in return for his support

February 16, 2026
NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme
Business

NESDB holds Istanbul meeting to advance Libya’s food security programmes

February 15, 2026
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

PM Aldabaiba launches ‘‘100-Day Strategy for Health Sector Reform’’ – inaugurates over 20 health facilities across the country

February 15, 2026
Next Post
Libyan medical student freed by Turkish police

Libyan medical student freed by Turkish police

Op-Ed: Libya’s fledgling democracy is at stake

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • National Development Agency signs partnership agreement with Signify Philips to enhance lighting projects in Libya

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

First phase of technical study assessing existing damage to Zumurrud Mall project completed

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.