No Result
View All Result
Sunday, February 22, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Letters

Thinni thanks PFG for surrendering oil terminals but international community condemns LNA action

byNigel Ash
September 13, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni (file photo)
Prime Minister Abdullah Al-Thinni is grateful to the PFG (file photo)

Tripoli and Benghazi, 12 September 2016:

While the Thinni government in Tobruk today thanked members of the Petroleum Facilities Guard for not resisting Sunday’s army takeover of the eastern oil export terminals, the Presidency Council and the international community have condemned the seizures.

Army spokesman Colonel Ahmed Al-Mismari said this morning that the terminals at Sidra, Ras Lanuf, Brega and Zuetina were all under army control. However it is reported that at least one PFG member was killed in the operation. There were also unconfirmed reports of continuing resistance at Zuetina. It was not possible to contact the terminal.  The army’s 153 Battalion entered Zuetina in the middle of last month but made no attempt to push into the terminal itself to the west of the town.

Mismari insisted that the oil terminals were now open to the National Oil Corporation to get on with exporting crude. The armed forces would not interfere.

RELATED POSTS

Top law firm joins new British Libyan Business Association

An academy with a difference in Tripoli

Mismari did not mention that until Sunday’s dawn assault, three of the four terminals, the exception being Brega, had been under the control of PFG commander Ibrahim Jadhran. Visited in Ajdabiya by UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler in July,  Jadhran then cut a deal with the Presidency Council to end his blockade of the terminals and allow NOC to resume exports.

Jadhran’s house was attacked on early Sunday, it seems as part of a brief fight during which the army claimed to have seized four tanks and 15 “technicals”. It is not known where Jadhran is now. There are unconfirmed reports that elders of the Magharba tribe, to which he belongs, have urged him to hand himself in to the army.

The army claimed that no damage had been done to any of the equipment in the export terminals. It said that smoke seen rising from the Sidra terminal came from a burning generator fuel tank.

Throughout Sunday, there was no public reaction from the Presidency Council. It was only in the early hours of this morning  that it put out a statement protesting that the occupation of the four terminals was a blow to the process of reconciliation.  It had frustrated the hopes of stability and ending bloodshed and suffering. The PC said it would respond wisely and with concern for the lives of ordinary citizens and the unity of the nation.

It insisted that it and  Government of National Accord had the sole right to protect oil installations. It also suggested that foreign troops had been involved in the operation. The PC said that all patriotic Libyans and tribal elders should work with it to reverse this serious development by peaceful means.

UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler echoed the PC saying that the oil terminal attacks threatened Libya’s stability and could lead to greater divisions. He called for an immediate end to hostilities and urged both sides to avoid damaging the oil facilities. “Natural resources belong to all Libyans” he said, “Preserving them is in the national interest”

Six members of the international community also weighed in today. A joint statement from France, Germany, Italy, Spain, the UK and the US callied for an immediate ceasefire and the avoidance of damage to oil infrastructure.

They said there was an obligation “to ensure oil revenues are used to provide essential services fro the Libyan people”, adding “Libyan forces should unite in fighting the so-called Islamic State and other UN-designated terrorist groups”.

Ibrahim Dabbashi, until his recent firing by the PC, Libyan’s UN ambassador, speculated that the terminals had been seized to act as a buffer zone between the east and west of the country, or to impose division or what he described as “a puppet government”.

Tags: army takeoverfeaturedJadhranLibyaoil export terminalsThinni

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Tripoli Criminal Court convicts five Waha bank employees for LD 131 million corruption

February 22, 2026
Mental health services in Libya almost non-existent – approximately one million people need mental health care: WHO 2020 report
Libya

WHO confirms elimination of trachoma as a public health problem in Libya – particularly notable given years of political instability and humanitarian challenges on health services

February 21, 2026
Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts
Libya

Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

February 21, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Libya

Khoms Port receives five new Ferrari and Kone Crane 45-ton cranes

February 20, 2026
Malta to open Libya Consulate in weeks – visas, residency permits, flights, bank accounts, seized dinars discussed
Libya

Maltese Embassy participated in a mission in Libya in support of the Libyan National Centre for Emergencies and Disaster Management.

February 20, 2026
Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
Next Post

PC divided on LNA takeover of oil terminals as Hafter and HoR president call for exports to resume

Protests at Western opposition to LNA oil terminal takeovers

Top Stories

  • Aldabaiba attempts to solidify his position and continues to entrench rentier state with a spree of handouts

    Aldabaiba refutes Italian media reports of another health setback – says he was having a routine checkup coinciding with a Milan visit

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Kufra airport activates runway and taxiway lighting enabling nighttime flights

Newly created Libyan United Airlines reveals logo – stresses it is a privately owned airline

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.