No Result
View All Result
Monday, May 18, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Jadhran’s PFG fail to retake Sidra and Ras Lanuf export terminals

byNigel Ash
September 19, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Jadhran’s PFG fail to retake Sidra and Ras Lanuf export terminals

Wreckage strewn highway after PFG's abortive assault (Photo: social media)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Wreckage strewn highway after PFG's abortive assault (Photo: social media)
Wreckage-strewn highway after the  PFG’s abortive assault today (Photo: social media)

Tripoli, 18 September 2016:

An attempt by Ibrahim Jadhran’s Petroleum Facilities Guard to retake two of the oil export terminals from which they were ousted last week appears to have failed with at least five PFG members killed and vehicles destroyed and captured.

The early morning attack from two directions on Ras Lanuf and Sidra initially met with some success with the PFG pushing into the town of Ras Lanuf.  However the advance was met with airstrikes as well as a counterattack by ground forces.

Colonel Ahmed Al-Gatrani of the Government of National Accord ministry of defence protested that the air strikes had been launched by UAE or Egyptian planes but gave no further details. Injured PFG fighters were evacuated to Misrata Central hospital.

RELATED POSTS

Ras Lanuf successfully restarts second polyethylene production‎ line – after a 12-year stoppage

Ras Lanuf signs contract with Slovakian Hydromtazah for maintenance of concrete foundations and steel structures at seawater outlet

Smoke rose from a fire in a residential area in Ras Lanuf. The army also confirmed that storage tank 12 that had been already been damaged in the Sidra tank farm was also set alight  By the afternoon the army was claiming to have cleared the area around both terminals. Moreover, according to Alwasat after the PFG attack was repulsed the army’s 101 Brigade advanced and seized Bin Jawad, 25 kilometres west of Sidra.

A tanker, the Maltese flagged SeaDelta, which had been lifting the first load of crude from Ras Lanuf since the expulsion of Jadhran’s force withdrew from the port when the fighting started and was this evening still off the coast.

After the army ejected the PFG from the terminals at Sidra, Ras Lanuf and Zuetina on 11 September , it said it had handed control over to the National Oil Corporation.  Today NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla repeated his call to stop any fighting around the terminals.

“We ask the combatants to avoid taking actions that could damage our vital national infrastructure,” he said. “Our national recovery depends on these ports being open and our oil flowing freely.”

Shortly after the PFG began their attack, Jadhran’s spokesman Ali Al-Hassi told AFP that they were coming under air attack. Pictures released by the army show destroyed vehicle which they said had belonged to the PFG.  There were also reports from members of the PFG who appear to have sided with the army, that some of the attackers had been captured.

Early yesterday oil field offices belonging to Sirte Oil were raided 140 kilometres from Brega. The masked men held up staff at gunpoint and took computers and communications equipment as well as two Toyota pickups. The PFG unit guarding the premises was withdrawn last week after the army seized the terminals.

In a separate development today, it is being reported that army units had moved into the Jufra airbase. This appears to be a reoccupation of the position first taken over in April from which units were clearly withdrawn at some point.

Tags: armyfeaturedJadhranLibyaPFGRas LanufSidra

Related Posts

Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June
Libya

Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

May 15, 2026
CBL receives results from meetings with international banks
Business

CBL renews call for closure of unofficial FX sales outlets – as dinar begins to slide again

May 12, 2026
Next Post
Bunyan Marsous resumes final assault on IS in Sirte

Bunyan Marsous resumes final assault on IS in Sirte

GECOL and Municipalities agree power cuts to be limited equitably and to 6 hours

GECOL and Municipalities agree power cuts to be limited equitably and to 6 hours

Top Stories

  • Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    Libyan Express and Italy’s 4 Airways to launch joint Libya-Europe air route ”soon”

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Economy Ministry accredits seven international inspection companies to inspect imports of medicines & medical equipment at ports of origin

Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.