No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Militants claim French drone killed civilians

byNigel Ash
August 13, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
Militants claim French drone killed civilians

Part of the destroyed Ganfouda building (screengrab frpm BDB video)

By Libya Herald reporters.

Part of the destroyed Ganfouda building (screengrab frpm BDB video)
Part of the destroyed Ganfouda building (screengrab frpm BDB video)

Benghazi, 12 August 2016:

Four members of the same family, including two children, were reported to have been killed in a Benghazi airstrike today which Islamist militiamen are blaming on a French drone.

The Benghazi Defence Brigade (BDB) has posted graphic video of a collapsed building in Ganfouda with crushed bodies inside. A later clip shows children being treated for what appear to be serious injuries.

The family are said to be from sub-Saharan Africa.

RELATED POSTS

Whiba Group’s Al-Dafniya Food Complex realizes first exports to France

UNICEF and France partner in “Baity-My Home” initiative for vulnerable children

There is no footage of the remnants of the munition that destroyed the property.  It is unclear what caused the BDB to decide it had been targeted by a French drone.

Ganfouda and Gwarsha are now invested by the army who after swift advances in June, now appear to be making little or no progress against the IS and Ansar Al-Sharia terrorists trapped in the coastal enclave and their allies in the Benghazi Revolutionaries’ Shoura Council.

There were reports that French special forces have been pulling out of Benghazi. The presence of these troops, believed to be with French intelligence, was revealed when three of them died in a helicopter smash last month, admitted by the French government.

It had been known for some while that a unit of specialist troops had been based near Benina.  Following the helicopter wreck, Presidency Council head Faiez Serraj met France’s ambassador to Libya, Antoine Sivan, on the edge of the Arab League summit in the Mauritanian capital Nouakchott and delivered a formal protest.

The speculation is that French forces are pulling out as a result of that meeting. However, the evidence for the withdrawal seems slight. One anonymous source told a Turkish news agency that there did not seem to be as many French soldiers around as before.

Tags: airstrikeBenghazi Defence BrigadedronefeaturedFranceGanfoudaLibyaSerrajSivanSpecial Forces

Related Posts

Largest-ever Libyan government delegation to visit Washington first week of September
Libya

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

February 19, 2026
UNSMIL: Warring parties invited to begin negotiations on 29 September
Libya

No progress in Libya’s latest political Roadmap: UNSMIL head Tetteh

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

After the revolution, Libya needs a state of institutions, the rule of law and a unified professional army: Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi

February 19, 2026
Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech
Libya

Aldabaiba speaks on the economic crisis, cabinet reshuffle, elections and Qaddafi supporters in his 15th anniversary of 17 Feb 2011 Revolution speech

February 19, 2026
Libyan Ports fees increased by 235 percent to reflect dinar devaluation
Business

Tripoli Port receives Kone Crane-type grab from Turkish branch of Portunus

February 19, 2026
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Interior Ministry reports increased crime-fighting success despite lack of resources

February 16, 2026
Next Post
LIA chairman Bouhadi resigns as HoR appoint their man Shamekh as CEO

LIA chairman Bouhadi resigns as HoR appoint their man Shamekh as CEO

Sirte radio station retaken from IS

Sirte radio station retaken from IS

Top Stories

  • NOC announces force majeure at Zawia port

    Seven companies successful as Libya announces results of first public bidding round for oil and gas exploration‎ in 17 years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • General Staff of Libyan Army strongly condemns yesterday’s Janzour armed clashes – those responsible will be held accountable

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Military Industrialisation Organisation signs major strategic agreement with Turkish company to begin a new industrial phase

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tunisian Ministry of Transport announces studies for railway connection project with Libya and Algeria

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

US working for economic and military integration by bringing together senior officials from eastern and western Libya: Massad Boulos at Security Council

Misrata Chamber to hold workshop on “Advance Consignment Information (ACI)’’ imported cargo tracking and registration system adopted by Libya

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.