By Libya Herald reporter.
Tunis, 27 August 2016:
Both the French and Egyptian governments have expressed their support for the Presidency Council’s agreement to submit a new cabinet list to the House of Representatives (HoR) for approval.
In a phone call yesterday to Presidency Council leader Faiez Serraj, French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault stated his appreciation both of the PC’s willingness to work with the HoR and of the action Libya has taken against the so-called Islamic State.
On Monday, the HoR rejected the current Government of National Accord and told the Presidency Council (PC) it had ten days to submit a new one.
Expressing France’s “full support” for Serraj and the PC, Ayrault also noted that the HoR had a responsibility to putting the Skhirat agreement into effect.
According to the PC, Ayrault also extended an inviaion to Serraj to visit France.
The Egyptian government has also welcomed Presidency Council’s decision to submit a new cabinet. Earlier this week, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi was reported as having said that Egypt supported the HoR and the forces local to the interim government of Abdullah Al-Thinni – in other words the Libyan National Army led by Khalifa Hafter.
It is not thought that Egypt’s welcoming of the latest move by the PC will change that position.