No Result
View All Result
Saturday, November 29, 2025
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

Presidency Council praises fighters as Misrata hospital confirms 240 dead

byNigel Ash
July 19, 2016
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A

By Libya Herald reporters.

Bunyan Marsous wounded recovering in Turkey (Photo: BM)
Bunyan Marsous wounded recovering in Turkey (Photo: BM)

Tripoli, 11 July 2016:

As Misrata Central hospital announced that so far 240 had been killed and 1,300 injured in the assault on IS in Sirte, the Presidency Council has promised financial support for bereaved families.

Praising the bravery of all those involved in the Bunyan Marsous operation, including ambulance drivers and Red Crescent paramedics, the PC said that their sacrifices would be recognised with medals.

It said that the health ministry had been instructed to set up a special battlefield trauma unit at Mitiga hospital, to take the pressure off facilities in Misrata.  The PC also said that it would pay for private treatment for the wounded at clinics in Tripoli and Misrata.

RELATED POSTS

Third edition of Banking and Business Technology Forum kicked off in Misrata under patronage of Central Bank of Libya

59 containers loaded with boats seized in Misrata suspected of being intended for use in illegal immigration operations

Bunyan Marsous today published footage of recovering wounded fighters being interviewed in a Turkish hospital to which they had been flown.

IS terrorists no longer have access to such treatment. This paper has been told that there are no field treatment stations in what is left of IS-controlled Sirte. Wounded fighters are trucked away to rear, where they can expect minimal attention.

Battlefield advances today have been limited while artillery, rockets, warplanes and a helicopter gunship have targeted terrorist positions, principally around the Ouagadougou Centre.

In a sign that the community is trying to get back to normal in the town, the local council has called a Misrata meeting this Sunday of local bank bosses. LANA has reported that the directors of the six commercial banks that have operated in Sirte, along with the head of the local Central Bank of Libya are involved.

It seems likely that the meeting will look at the speed with which the banks can get their branches in the town up and running again and the vexed question of providing enough local liquidity at a time when there is a severe cash shortage everywhere else in the country.

Lack of cash is also stymying the efforts of Tarhouna municipality to look after 3,000 Sirte families who have fled there. The council says that no money has been forthcoming from central government. Their only funding sources have been UNSMIL, the Social Security Fund and the charity run by telephone company Al-Madar. This, complains the council, is sufficient to look after just 400 families.

Tags: Bunyan MarsousfeaturedISLibyaMisrataPresidency CouncilTurkey

Related Posts

Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

November 28, 2025
“Beaches and marine life: Between investment and environmental conservation. Towards more sustainable eco-tourism” debate held in Tripoli
Libya

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

November 28, 2025
Interior Ministry’s Diplomatic Missions Protection personnel receiving training in Ukraine
Libya

Security plan within Tripoli has resulted in the resolution of several cases: Interior Minister Trabelsi

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Detention ordered of Director General and Director of Finance of Libyan Post, Telecoms and Information Technology Holding Co. for fund mismanagement

November 27, 2025
GNU to take oath at Benghazi HoR session and budget to be approved at Tripoli session: GNU
Libya

Aldabaiba holds meeting with Interior Minister Trabelsi and Undersecretary of Defence Zoubi to follow up on ‎‎security and military developments

November 27, 2025
Attorney General orders arrests at Jumhouria bank branch for embezzlement
Libya

Former Director of Long-Term Investment Portfolio’s Housing Company for Tourism and Hotel Investments to be detained for misappropriation of US$ 15 million

November 26, 2025
Next Post
Cairo military say they have “rescued” six Egyptians from Libya

Cairo military say they have "rescued" six Egyptians from Libya

Suq Al-Juma protestors take over Libyana phone HQ, demand mobile service to Misrata be cut

Suq Al-Juma protestors take over Libyana phone HQ, demand mobile service to Misrata be cut

libyaherald-Ads

Top Stories

  • NESDB discusses food security and social protection with World Food Programme

    ‘‘Serious interest from American companies in returning to the Libyan market confirms their confidence in the path of reform and stability’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • A high-level Libyan delegation and U.S. officials from Congress, the administration, and think tanks hold roundtable discussion in DC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli Libyan government delegation holds extensive meeting in DC with several major American companies ‘‘reflecting renewed American interest in Libyan market’’

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Tripoli government delegation meets Eric Meyer, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for the Middle East and Africa, to discuss economic and financial cooperation

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Sirte Free Zone offers 70% reduction in duties for all goods through its port for two years

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

Detention of a former chairman of Libya Telecom & Technology Company for LD 20 million misappropriation

Tourism Minister affirms full support for Second Fesania Desert Rally scheduled to begin on 1 January in Wadi al-Hayat

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.