No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, May 19, 2026
23 °c
Tripoli
24 ° Sat
24 ° Sun
  • Advertising
  • Contact
LibyaHerald
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
SUBSCRIBE
  • Home
  • Libya
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Magazine
  • Advertising
  • Login
  • Register
No Result
View All Result
LibyaHerald
No Result
View All Result
Home Libya

NOC welcomes ”unconditional” reopening of oil ports

bySami Zaptia
July 31, 2016
Reading Time: 3 mins read
A A

By Sami Zaptia.

Tripoli NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla welcomed the reported unconditional reopening of the blockaded eastern oil ports.
Tripoli NOC chairman Mustafa Sanalla welcomed the reported unconditional reopening of the blockaded eastern oil ports.

London, 31 July 2016:

The National Oil Corporation (NOC) has today welcomed the announcement by the Presidency Council of the unconditional reopening of the eastern oil ports that had been blockaded by the Petroleum Facilities Guards led by regional strongman Ibrahim Jadhran.

The NOC said it ”welcomed the announcement by the Presidency Council that the Ras Lanuf, Sidra and Zuetina oil terminals would reopen without conditions”. It said that it was ”announcing a new initiative to end the use of oil blockades as a political tactic”.

The NOC revealed that in a phone call with NOC Chairman Mustafa Sanalla, Musa Koni, the Vice President of the Presidency Council, confirmed that the Presidency Council ”had not paid the Petroleum Facilities Guard to open the ports. The only money paid to the PFG was for overdue salaries”, Vice-President Koni told Sanalla.

RELATED POSTS

Mellitah Oil and Gas completes maintenance on well A-28 in Abu Attifel field – reducing water to zero, increasing production to 2,490 bpd

Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

“I am pleased the Presidency Council agrees that we cannot reward individuals who hold Libya’s oil hostage,” said Sanalla. “There can be no backroom deals if we are to build trust.”

“I call now on other groups that are using the blockade as a tactic to let Libya’s oil flow freely. In the West of Libya, 400,000 b/d of production is shut in at the Sharara and El-Feel fields”.

”The cost to the country is plain: tens of billions of dollars in lost revenue, and the collapse of our social fabric. But there are costs for the blockaders, too. Shortages of electricity, fuel, food, and medicines in their regions are the direct result of their blockades.”, added Sanalla.

“The PFG in the Central Region eventually understood there is a serious political cost to harming the people of Libya, including at the community level. We need other blockaders also to understand the blockade is not a tactic that benefits anybody”, the NOC chairman explained.

”That is why NOC has started working with local communities across the country to let Libya’s oil flow freely. We want to make the commitment to let Libya’s oil flow freely one of the central foundations of the national political dialogue. Blocking oil flows harms everybody, including the blockaders.”, explained Sanalla.

Sanalla also welcomed the decision by the Presidency Council to release agreed budget money to the NOC to enable it to raise production “The money released by the Presidency will allow us to boost production by over 900,000 b/d by the end of the year 2016,” he said.

“Now we will begin working with the Presidency Council and the Energy Committee of the House or Representatives to restart exports from the ports that were closed and from the fields that supply them”.

”We need to be clear there are still big military, political and legal obstacles that must be resolved”, he warned.

”The NOC will immediately start technical works, and we will mobilise workers as quickly as possible. On top of that, NOC will open discussions with our international oil company partners to indemnify NOC from liability before lifting the force majeure.”, he stressed.

“In the spirit of national unity, we urge the tribes and the municipalities in the oil-producing areas all over Libya to cooperate and join our commitment to let Libya’s oil flow freely. Libyan oil is for all Libyans”.

”I am optimistic we have taken two important steps in the right direction: One, lifting the oil port blockades without conditions; Two, releasing budget money to the NOC. We have a chance now to turn a corner if we let Libya’s oil flow freely”, he concluded.

It will be recalled that Sanalla had reacted strongly to UNSMIL chief Martin Kobler’s meeting with Ibrahim Jadhran who he labelled as a criminal. He had objected to setting a precedent of paying what he considered extortion money to oil blockaders.

Following his meeting with Kobler last Thursday, Jadhran was reported to have said that the terminals would be working again within days.

This assurance seemed a little unlikely since the Sidra and Ras Lanuf tank farms and associated infrastructure have been badly damaged, first in an attack by Misratan-led Libya Dawn forces in February 2015  and then by IS in October last year and January this year.

Tags: featuredIbrahim JadhranNOC National Oil CorporationPFG Petroleum Facilities Guards

Related Posts

Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

May 18, 2026
In the year that Libya hopes to hold elections, decision declaring all previously registered NGOs void is now deemed binding
Libya

Court of Appeal acquits former Qaddafi intelligence chief Senussi, and others, of all charges related to suppression of protesters during 2011 revolution

May 18, 2026
Japanese embassy to resume its work from Tripoli soon
Libya

Japan ready to provide technical and technological support to improve quality of medical services provided to Libyan citizens

May 16, 2026
Visiting Jordanian specialists perform 18 infertility and delayed childbearing operations in Zintan Hospital
Libya

Minister of Health inaugurates 13 Golden Clinic Complexes – bringing a radical transformation in accessible healthcare to citizens

May 16, 2026
Libya

Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

May 15, 2026
Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council
Business

Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

May 15, 2026
Next Post

Working to lift the dead hand of Qaddafi: rare signs of optimism in Tripoli

Saiqa take second Gwarsha checkpoint from IS

Saiqa take second Gwarsha checkpoint from IS

Top Stories

  • CBL receives results from meetings with international banks

    Central Bank of Libya source to Libya Herald: Direct transfers will effectively end the black market’s monopoly on foreign currency

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Fly Dubai announces launch of its direct Dubai-Benghazi route starting from 17 June

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Largest NOC delegation attends London’s Africa Energies Summit & Libya Energy Forum, signs MoU with LBBC and British Council

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Shell finalising study on several Libyan oil and gas fields’ development potential – to be submitted by end of May as part of 2025 MoU with NOC

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Al-Ittihad Football Club fans demonstrating against a result of a football match set fire to Prime Minister Aldabaiba’s Office in Tripoli

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
ADVERTISEMENT
LibyaHerald

The Libya Herald first appeared on 17 February 2012 – the first anniversary of the Libyan Revolution. Since then, it has become a favourite go-to source on news about Libya, for many in Libya and around the world, regularly attracting millions of hits.

Recent News

First phase of the Health Ministry’s Central Emergency Response Room activated

CBL Governor & Interior Minister discuss action plan to curb FX black-market, reduce smuggling across borders and imports outside banking system

Sitemap

  • Why subscribe?
  • Terms & Conditions
  • FAQs
  • Copyright & Intellectual Property Rights
  • Subscribe now

Newsletters

    Be the first to know latest important news & events directly to your inbox.

    Sending ...

    By signing up, I agree to our TOS and Privacy Policy.

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    Welcome Back!

    Login to your account below

    Forgotten Password? Sign Up

    Create New Account!

    Fill the forms below to register

    *By registering into our website, you agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.
    All fields are required. Log In

    Retrieve your password

    Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

    Log In
    No Result
    View All Result
    • Login
    • Sign Up
    • Libya
    • Business
    • Advertising
    • About us
    • BusinessEye Magazine
    • Letters
    • Features
    • Why subscribe?
    • FAQs
    • Contact

    © 2022 LibyaHerald - Powered by Sparx Solutions.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.